Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

96 Mazda Protege timing belt water pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Default 96 Mazda Protege timing belt water pump

I bought a 96 Mazda Protege for my daughter this past weekend. Seems like a nice little car and I am trying to get acquainted with it. My first concern is the timing belt. Car has 162K and previous owner does not think he ever changed the timing belt. This is a 16 valve, double overhead cam, so I am pretty certain this is an interference motor and that there is no way I want to have the timing belt break, so I am thinking that is first on the list. I am also hearing a squeak that might be a water pump bearing which is convenient since the timing belt fix and water pump replacement are a pretty natural combination.

So, how big a job is it to replace the timing belt and water pump on this car? The engine compartment looks a little tight - it's an LX with auto tranny and air conditioning. I am pretty good with engines, but have never worked on a Mazda before.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Default RE: 96 Mazda Protege timing belt water pump

ORIGINAL: mcoday

I bought a 96 Mazda Protege for my daughter this past weekend. Seems like a nice little car and I am trying to get acquainted with it. My first concern is the timing belt. Car has 162K and previous owner does not think he ever changed the timing belt. This is a 16 valve, double overhead cam, so I am pretty certain this is an interference motor and that there is no way I want to have the timing belt break, so I am thinking that is first on the list. I am also hearing a squeak that might be a water pump bearing which is convenient since the timing belt fix and water pump replacement are a pretty natural combination.

So, how big a job is it to replace the timing belt and water pump on this car? The engine compartment looks a little tight - it's an LX with auto tranny and air conditioning. I am pretty good with engines, but have never worked on a Mazda before.

Thanks in advance.

In order to change the timing belt and water pump on that car, you have to lift the engine up just a little bit.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 AM

First of all, you will need to lift the front half of the motor, undo the left side motor mounts and lift with a motor lift.Is this a 1.5 or a 1.8. 1.5 is intererence, 1.8 is not. Anyway you look at the job is going to be a knuckle buster. I did it once, then have paid the dealer to do it since. I have 278,000 on my 1996 protege ES and the car is better than new now.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 AM

It's a dohc engine, so I think it must be the 1.8. That would be great if it is not interference motor. I assumed with sixteen valves and two cams that a piston was bound to hit something if timing belt came apart. Towing a vehicle home to do a timing belt is a lot less expensive than towing a vehicle home to rebuilt the engine. I have done both of those in the past.

This job definitely looks like a knuckle buster. Not much room available. I priced the job with local mechanic and he said $541. I think I better keep that in my pocket and get out the bandaids.

Reading the Chilton last night, it said I better find my puller to get the pulley off. I think I know where it is. Thanks for all the help.