Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

92 protege belt/pully problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Default 92 protege belt/pully problem?

Hello to all,

I'm having a situation with either my belt or pully or both. When you accelerate only from a stopping then starting position it has a bad squealing slip. It only does it though when you stp and then start like leaving from a light or stop sign, it does not slip while in motion. It also does it worse with the heat or the air on. I noticed as well for awhile the car had what seemed to be a slight miss but i realized today its the slip doing it while idling. Also after the car has run for awhile, and it starts to slip after a stoping starting acceleration(once it starts to slip), and then you shut the car off and then restart after normal sitting time(like stopping to get gas) when i restart the charge light will come on and after i give a little gas the belt slips then stops and the charge light goes out and does not come back on, as if it were doing this as well from the slip. Is this a bad problem, belt prob, pully prob etc..? can I get away with some belt ease for awhile or is this something more severe? I have to add as well where i live we just went from 60 degree wheather to 25-30 degrees, is this maybe causing the problem that obviously was already starting to happen, to worsen?

as always any help will go along way and will be greatly appreciated.

thanks to all and any who reply or try

Old 11-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Default RE: 92 protege belt/pully problem?

Once a belt starts slipping, it usually has to be replaced, as the slipping leads to glazing. Either replace the belt or have it replaced. If you do it yourself, be sure to clean the pulleys and get the tension right. If you install it too loose, it will slip. If you over tighten it, you will cause excessive wear on the bearings. Don't mess around with belt dressing.[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Hey thanks for your fast reply. I hope its just the belt though, cause that miss/skip feeling thats been happning for awhile is coming from the belt sliping or the pully. also I bought this car in may07 and that belt was brand new then, and the guy i bought it from was saying that something was up with the belt pully while trying to tighten it up, but he said it was fine as far as the car running, but i noticed then it was causing a squeal periodically with the (air on only), and the belt was new, but it didnt do it all the time and it didnt do it with the heat now its doing it with the heat. just as well thanks for the help and i guess ill start with changing the belt.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 PM

i would just go ahead and replace the pulley. i had a pulley on my not-a-mazda work car that got bad and kept eating belts. i am kind of a tight wad, so i didn't change the pulley immediately. instead, i spent the same amount in belts before i bought a new pulley. i cleaned it all of the time and it still didn't help