Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2010 Winter Tires - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Default 2010 Winter Tires - Canada

Greetings.. I've done a lot of reading on this site this evening and..let me be direct:

1 - I have inside tire wear on my 2003 Mazda 5 Protege
that I thought was specific to me... now I see it's a Mazda issue..

2 - I need winter tires and looking for feedback on 3 types. I am not a car/tire guy but if this forum ever needs some help I'm sure I can help..

Current on the care: P195/55R/15
Not original, but purchased from the Mazda Dealership

Funds are tight this year, price is an issue, Canadian Tire has 12 months no payment/interest, so I'm look there at:

Goodyear Nordic 195/55R15
Continental ContiWinterViking 2 195/55R15 89T
Hankook I*Pike RC01 Winter Tire 195/55R15 85T

Anyhow.. Cars are not my thing..so any replies are welcomed even if they are RTFM's.
Thanks.

(this post originally miss posted in the Mazda 5 section..for some reason I ALWAYS want to make this car a Mazda 5 Protege.. )

Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

I did some research for you and had some trouble locating two of the tires you posted, so most of what I am about to suggest is personal opinion or experience.

GoodYear: I HATE GoodYear. I have never had luck with their tires, think they are overpriced and especially overhyped, and being the largest manufqacturer in the world today, they have the money and power to do it and get away with it. But they will get no more of my hard earned money.
W/O getting into detail (which is well documented elsewhere on this, and other sites) I had some run-ins with their so called customer service people as well as their technicians/counter people too. You might think I am biased, and perhaps you're right, but my experiences with a lot of GoodYears over the years has usually turn out bad, and sometimes VERY bad.
Ever noticed how when GoodYear tires are racing in a (professional) series that they are often THE ONLY TIRE allowed in that series? They pushed Hoosier out of competing w/them in a number of racing series years ago. Why? Money= political clout= power= corruption.

Continentals: While I always used to consider them tires your father/grandfather might put on his Buick or Rolls Royce, I am currently running their All-Season DWS series on my 3 and I am as close to being in love w/them as with any other tire I have ever owned in 35yrs. Of course not all tires from the same manufacturer would be rated the same, but the DWS series does get very high marks in nearly all catagories including light-med snow.

Hankook: I have no personal experience with this company's products, but reading up on them over the last few years is that they may be an upcomer in the world of tires, but my opinion is that they are not there yet.

In short, and based on my one and only experience with them, go w/the Conti's.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Goodyear tires suck.
I have Blizzaks on my car and I can get through anything. I live in Syracuse, Ny. Drove home from work with 12" on the ground with no problems.

Nokian makes good winter tires that you can run all year. Look them up.