Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2003 Protege 5, 5speed, thinking about buying, what to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Default 2003 Protege 5, 5speed, thinking about buying, what to look out for

Looking at a 2003 Protege5 with 131k miles, 5-speed manual, appears stock otherwise.

I haven't gone to look at the car yet since it's quite a drive, but am planning to go tomorrow (dealer claims to be open sundays.. we'll see).

Anyway, I am wondering what to look for on a 130k mile car here. The asking price is $4,000 (down from $5,400 a week ago). What should I look for on this car? Obviously, oil, coolant, shocks/suspension, rust, etc... but I remember my old MX-3 started blowing distributors at 120k miles and want to avoid a situation like that.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get some good suggestions. I also hope this is in the right place. If not, sorry. But I tried.

Thanks again!

-Eric

Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 AM

motor mounts tend to be a little on the weak side and the blower motor resistor goes out pretty regular. all cheap parts that are easy to fix. other than that, nothing out of the ordinary when compared to other cars. my protege5 is at 97k on the stock clutch. never had a breakdown in the 4+ years I have had it. the one that I had before it went 115k without any mechanical problems.just make sure that the maintenance is current and stay on top of the maintenance yourself.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 AM

oh yeah, and go ahead and buy the auto parts out of head lights on the way home if you buy it. just get the cheap lights. they last a little longer while the expensive ones will burn up once a month. I am averaging about one burnt headlamp every 4 months or so. still not substantial cost but more often than any other car I have owned.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 AM

Haha, is the headlight thing common or is it just you? I know how some of those things go... lol.

I read up about the recall for the VICS butterflies and will definitely run the VIN through MazdaUSA's registration system that I've read about. Plus I'll give the dealer a call Monday if I like the car tomorrow.

Also, keep seeing something about the EGR valve that apparently can be cleaned out every once in a while.

Thanks!

Other replies and suggestions are obviously welcome.

-Eric

Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM

Went and drove the car today and absolutely loved driving it. Needs a little more power but oh well. Took it down a curvy road. Engine noise is great while you need to hear it but quiet when you don't. Steering response is awesome. 900000x better than my g/f's '05 Neon. Power windows, locks, remote entry, you name it.

The bad news:

No records on timing belt (read needs changed)
Needs all 4 tires (they don't match and are worn)
Front tires wear a little uneven and steering wheel is tilted left a bit (alignment)
Looks like a 14 year old girl learned how to drive in a parking lot FULL of obstacles. Looks like the bodywork was scraped alongside a building, replaced left rear fender, replaced right front fender (primer black + clearcoat ftw)... drivers side foglight cracked, ... etc.

However, the interior is nearly perfect, EVERYTHING works. Engine sounds great and the oil looks cleaner than my truck even though he said it's actually about due for an oil change.

I am undecided.

-Eric

Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 PM

for the price, I wouldn't complain about those things too much. I would get it checked out at a mechanic to make sure that the damage isn't what is causing the uneven tire wear. that is really the only advice I would have. knock him down another 500 and use that for either new tires or a 120k mile maintenance.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM

Good point. A lift can point out all kinds of stuff. The scrapes don't bug me a lot. The repaired/replaced/whatever fenders that don't line up or even come close to matching on paint though... That bugs me. It shows that the owners didn't care about the car as much as I would like. What else did they skimp on? Or maybe the car was rallycrossed, lol. It just makes me wary of what else is going on.

I was really hoping this would be 'the one' but I may keep looking. I do at least know that I am more than happy with the car's overall feel, pedal position, response, you name it.

Thanks a million! I'll keep you posted if I go further with it.

-Eric

Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Default You can't go wrong!!!

I have a 2003 Protege 5 197000 miles, original clutch, had a timming belt done at 125000 no issues with the car.
Just upgraded my motor mounts to the AWR Racing mounts and I'm pretty happy with it. The car is fun to drive and reliable.
The only surprise was my warmup cat that just failed and the dealer wanted 1200.00 to replace it (California)
Got one on line for 185.00, I'll let you know how it works.
Hope you get the car!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 AM

I actually had to let that one go. It was just too questionable about how it was treated during its life.

I did, however, find a perfect '04 Mazda3 Hatch that I picked up.

-Eric

Old 05-27-2023, 08:46 AM
Default Before we scrap it?

Got the old mazdrati (lol) my bud called it that. 03 midnight blue bought new struts plugs wires, alternator, head gasket, and several other parts only for it to not be completed. Down by the beach in Alabama no title but it's just lost not stolen, for sale for parts or can be a good car with some TLC. I think I have some pics I'll look. 251-214-4164 hmu if you're interested or gonna have to scrap it just to move it