Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2003 Mazda Protege Squealing Problem

Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 PM

I just replaced my alternator. I had removed the adjustment bracket because I thought it was in my way. Is there a specific way this needs to be positioned. My belts/alternator made no noise. Now it has a high-pitched whine. Also the battery light won't go out. Also, I have a rogue green wire and I can't find it's home for the life of me. (Its wrapped around the power wires) If anyone could shoot me some photos and helps I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Attached Thumbnails  2003 Mazda Protege Squealing Problem-image.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 PM

what car is this on?

Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 AM

2003 Mazda Protege. 2.0L not turbo

Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 AM

Glad to find this froum. Just got used 2003 Protege w/ 80,000mi. After 3 weeks of guiet, squeal started upon ignition. Auto parts clerk confirmed using a spray belt conditioner will relieve noise and to replace belts within a few months. So, yes, when I spray, the squeal stops. No fog or mist, just cold engine. I'm pretty sure it has stopped when out-of-gear, yoo. So is it the belts, please?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM

I think it is the Alt. belt like on mine.I would get a belt from Mazda.That is my next move.Car had Brand new spanking belts on it when i bought it and it did not squeek until about a month after I bought it.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 PM

I had the same problem with my A/C belt, replaced it, squeal went away, and then started coming back when it was colder and more humid outside. Turns out the tensioner was lose and it just had to be adjusted, now the squeal hasn't come back anymore for a few months.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Question Further ?s for both and each respondents

Thanks to you both. Query for both repiondents: Please tell me, how you discerned which belt was squealing?
Sqealing remains intermittent and relieved by spary. My guess is the belts are originals. Do they have a lifespan? 81,000 miles now.

Individually,

To first respondent:Please let me know how new belt works once installed.

To second respondent: An adjustment sounds like a wise move. Each belt, I quess, has a seperate tensioner. Does tightening require a mechainic and specific measurement/tool or can a home mechanic do the job, do you think?

Am relieved to have your support. Thanks to all participants on this forum!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 PM

I came to the conclusion it was my AC belt because almost every time I turned on my fan, the squeaking would appear. I was told it was the belt that was cracking and had it replaced, and that's when the noise went away, until it came back. I was then told that all it needed was an adjustment, so I had a mechanic do the adjustment. I couldn't tell you if it can be done at home because I don't know unfortunately. Hope this helped though.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Smile

Thanks. The squeal was gone for several weeks and then happened once a couple of days ago. Appreciate your response. All the best. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Our Protege belt started to make some noise again awhile ago and I finally went out and tightened the Alt. belt again yesterday and it stopped at least for a day now.Time will tell.My next move may be to go buy an OEM Mazda belt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Mazda Protege Squealing Problem