Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0L CE Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Default 2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0L CE Light Flashing

Hey guys,

I have a little problem with my Protege that started a month ago after getting a tuneup, although this problem may have been waiting to happen. The check engine light had previously been on solid for a catalatic converter reading that I was told was nothing major at the time. I took the car in for a tuneup after realizing I was getting poor mileage, so the plugs, wires, and air filter were replaced and the guys tested the O2 sensors which he reported were fine. After turning the engine on the first time the car almost stalled and sounded like a lawn mower. That's when the check engine light first started flashing. After turning the car off and back on again about three times, the check engine light remained solid and the car fired up like nothing had ever happened and was running great after the tuneup. I passed it off as the ECU or something resetting and the car was now running fine.

About a month later this is now happening all the time. I'll be rolling to a stop or drive down the road and the CE light starts flashing again. The car acts like it's gonna stall and it will only go about 20mph, shifting at odd times and acting like it wants to go but it won't.

I took it in last week and the mechanic pulled a reading from the computer and reported no fault found. He assumed that a coil was shorting out and I may be losing some cylinders while driving. He said it had happened while they had it in the shop. He reported that I still had the original wiring, but it didn't look like anything needed replaced. They reset the CE light and I picked up the car.

I drive no more than 10miles and the CE light starts flashing again and the car wants to die. Now the problem seems to be getting progressively worse. The car again sounds like a lawnmower, will not do more than 20mph and I have noticed what looked like smoke coming from under the hood. I have heard a little bit of chirping, which I suspected it may have been a bad bearing, but get this. The smoke coming from around the engine smells like gasoline and my exhaust has started knocking badly in the rear of the car. I put my hand over the exhaust and I feel quite a bit of pressure coming out. I also noticed a lot of pressure coming out the hole the PCV valve goes into, when I remove the valve. I am really afraid that this is a sign of something really bad about to happen.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Default RE: 2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0L CE Light Flashing

sounds to me like your cat has gone bad, probably glogged a bit.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:57 PM

My pre-cat or the whole thing? I also just noticed my motor mount next to my pulley's broken. I hear this has been happening a bit on the Mazda3's. Can you only order mounts direct from the dealer?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 PM

You need to get a new mechanic. I suggest taking it into the dealer. They will be able to diagnose it properly. The dealer isn't cheap, but you will waste a lot of money in the long run on gas and perhaps replacing the wrong part(s), not to mention the fact that the thing might leave you stranded. You also risk doing permanent damage to the engine if you let this go too long. If the problem turns out to be more expensive to fix at the dealer than you can afford, at least you will know what the problem is and that is half the battle.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-27-2007, 12:37 PM

One suggestion you might try before taking it to the dealer is to replace your PCV valve. Do that and see what happens. If you continue to have problems, bite the bullet and take it to a Mazda dealer to at least find out what is going on.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-27-2007, 04:06 PM

I replaced the PCV valve last year. I'm thinking that probably has nothing to due with the problem.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:59 AM

Maybe not. I just thought there was a chance it could be part of the problem as you specifically mentioned a lot of pressure coming out of the PCV valve port and I've heard about cases where a clogged valve can cause all kinds of severe symptoms. Of course now I realize you removed the valve to check the blow-by pressure and were not talking about a build up of pressure with the valve in place. Perhaps it is the cat or pre cat as you suggested. However, considering how expensive a cat can be, I stick by my opinion that you need to take it to someone with the knowledge and tools to diagnose the problem unless you like wasting time and money changing parts or paying for misdiagnoses.[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 PM

I'm going to take it to the dealer this week to get diagnosed since the last mechanic found no problem after running diagnostics. I'm in Missoula, MT so I hope the service center @ Flanagans is a good one as well! Mada service is hard to come by in Montana. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to solve the problem.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 AM

please post what you find out. My 01 Protege just started doing the same thing. Thought I was running out of gas, sputtering and such. The check engine light came on and flashed. They ran a diagnostic code which came out P0300 and reset it. Now it is doing it again. After reading on here all the problems with this, I have no idea where to even start?? Thanks guys

Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM

What's up y'all?! I was looking online trying to figure out why my CE light came on this morning as I was driving to work. My car's in good shape after 85,000+ miles on it, but perhaps I need a major tune-up. Definitely keep me posted. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0L CE Light Flashing