Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1999 Mazda Protege Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Exclamation 1999 Mazda Protege Headlights

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here so I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide

Here is my ish... The other night I was driving and my headlights just died out. I switched on the the high beams and they still work but the low beams do not. Also, when the headlights are turned on, the blue high beam light remains on whether it is flipped over to high beams or in the regular position. We have gone through the steps of replacing the headlights, and checking the fuses and relay. My dad fears that it may be the control arm. Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Default Your answer

HEY! THIS IS SASHA FROM SERRA MAZDA IN TRUSSVILLE AL. OUR MASTER TECH TOOK A LOOK AT YOUR PROBLEM QUESTION. HIS RESPONSE WAS 1999 PROTEGE AND 626'S HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH ALSO KNOW AS THE CONTROL ARM. I WISH U COULD'VE ASKED THE QUESTION BEFORE YOU STARTED REPLACING PARTS. BUT THATS USUALLY HOW IT GOES. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK. I WILL DO MY BEST TO ANSWER THEM. WE ALSO HAVE MANY PARTS ON STOCK IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. WEB SITE IS buymazdaparts.com. MY DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS IS sashal@serramazda.com. AND OUR NUMBER IS 1-888-448-7278.
HOPE THAT HELPS. GOOD LUCK!
SASH

Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Hi, I have a similar problem with my Mazda Protege 1999 model.

The headlights dont come on when in low beam; the high beam doesnt work unless i flash them [the blue High-Beam indicator does not glow even at that time]

I am situated in the Sunnyvale, CA area.

Please guide me on how to get this fixed.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM

One solution to intermittent or permanent headlight failure can be found on the post by SEVARGMT on 9-29-2010.

It seems to lie in corrosion of the wiring system connectors in the PJB, a specific wire connection junction box located under the passenger side glove compartment box.

It seems possible to repair the corroded pin connector but it is probably best to have the dealer replace the entire PJB to avoid repeats of this problem, as it is a dangerous situation when headlights go out at night, like mine did.

Brilliant problem solving by SEVARGMT and DJS2571. They also developed a convincing theory of what causes this problem: the air conditioning line located above this box creates condensation, which then drips down on the wire connectors and causes them to corrode, causing an electrical fault. They suggest a plastic drip sheet to avoid future corrosion.

Wouldn't it be great if Mazda assigned an engineer to read the forums for problems with their cars and prepare posts with solutions? It is plainly obvious that a problem is very common when you look at the number of "views" listed for certain topics, such the headlights (many thousands of owners have headlight failure problems). Mazda should have issued a bulletin or a recall since the corroding PJB is clearly a safety problem. This looks like a design/engineering flaw. Every electrician and plumber knows to never put moisture sources above electrical boxes. Shame on them.