Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

02 Protege 5 Misfire Problem. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Default 02 Protege 5 Misfire Problem. Help!

Ok, so I'm at my wit's end and any suggestions would be wonderful.
For the past almost 3 weeks, my car has been misfiring. It will start with the check engine light, and that usually means I can drive it for anywhere between 20 minutes and 2 hours before it starts violently misfiring and I have to pull over. After sitting for awhile, it's driveable again, but the check engine light remains on. I first had some cleaner junk ran through it, to no avail. I've replaced the coils, to no avail. I have replaced the wires, to no avail. All of these things seem to fix the issue for a short amount of time, and then it goes back to crap. It is sending a cylinder 1 misfire and multiple misfire code. The check engine light also randomly shuts itself off for no apparent reason.
I'm going insane with this; I'm about to either part it out or drive it off a cliff. Help!

Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Default RE: 02 Protege 5 Misfire Problem. Help!

ya i have the same **** going on with mine but not the pull over part.my light stays on and dose not go of i feel your pain man i do....but alot of people said that it might be a carbon buld up in the cat. check that im gettin custom pipes in mine so that it dose not bulid up but i would say that hope it helps....o one more change your plugs and wires i did misfire and my plug was black as night after so check that....
holla

Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Black plugs generally mean too much fuel going into the cylinder. Check the injector fuel rail. Put a long screwdiver with the blade against the outside of the injector rail, put your ear against the end of the handle, and listen for it clicking on and off.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:06 PM

I would try cleaning the egr valve and ports. Check the ECT and ohm out the injectors. Clean the MAF hotwire. Check electrical connections/grounds etc.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Checked/ cleaned the EGR valve when the problem first started happening. It was running fine for about 3 days just recently, I had an Auto Zone take the light off because it's now showing an oxygen sensor code although the oxygen sensor appears to be fine. Driving up a very steep hill the other day and the car starts losing power drastically, and starts misfiring. I can't even drive it; the light won't stop flashing. I'm having it towed to the dealer. I know they'll hand me a $800 repair bill but it's worth it so the headache will go away.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM

see if its the mass airflow sen. i have had a misfire on cyc.2 and the shop i took it to ran the code and its the mass airflow and a full tune up i get it today will let u know how it is

Old 09-26-2007, 03:18 PM

Probably got your converter.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

I have been having these same exact problem with my 03' . Was on the way to work one morning and going up a hill and it started hesitating really bad.Took it to a shop and he told me after taking my exhaust apart that my rear converter was clogged. He replaced it and i drove it that night.Next morning the hesitation problem was back with my check engine light going crazy. It's definantly misfiring and now after taking it to another shop they tell me they dont have any clue whats wrong with it. Computer says that it has misfire and 02 sensor.O2 sensor was replaced and didnt make a difference. Im stuck and dont have a clue what to do.

If you have fixed your problem with this, any help would be great as to what you did.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 AM

Time for the Mazda dealer or some other shop that works on nothing but Mazdas. With unusual, tricky problems like this, the dealer is usually your best bet.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM

my **** did that like i said i got my plugs and wires changed and then i got my mass airflow and it has not done it yet the CEL comescame on it is running to lean so i have no clue whatis up but the misfire is gone