Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

02 protege 5 a/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Default 02 protege 5 a/c problem

yo wat up guys... got my 02 protege 5 and the a/c button lights up when pressed and the fan speed is at 1. when i try to turn the fan speed up to 2 or any position higher, the a/c cuts out and the button light goes out. So the a/c is only working on 1, is there any known solution to this problem? the a/c system is fine, charged and everything, just something electrical or maybe the control unit?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Blower resistor. Easy fix, I just did mine. Take the glovebox off and the resistor is a little black plastic square that mounts in the motor case with two screws and has a harness plugged into the back of it.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 PM

tried that resistor with no results... checked all the fuses and relays, everything is functioning properly, so im assuming its the control unit... anyone know where i can get one?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 AM

Junk yard, all mazdas from 2000 on have the same contol unit. I cleaned my switch a wile ago and it got back to life. Just be careful not to brake the tabs.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 AM

Does the Blower motor fan continue to operate when the A/C light goes out? Its the switch. The A/C switch itself isn't the problem, its the connection at the switch to the wire harness. Seemingly ALL PR%'s have this issue. It gets loose and rattles around in there. Mine was fixed when I removed the switch, unplugged the harness & cleaned the connections. Then I was able to gently squeeze the female ends(the wire harness it self) of the connector so as to tighten the grip that it has when connected to the switch.
I also used a decent amount of Di-electric grease during the process to protect the connection from debris & moisture.
I haven't had a problem since.
Good-Luck.

Last edited by North42g; 10-28-2010 at 07:16 AM.