Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Noobie, have a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Default Noobie, have a question

Hey what's up everyone? I currently own a Honda but am looking into buying a b-series pickup here in maybe a day or two.

I have a question and want some opinions. A local car dealer has an 89 B2200 shortbed with 90,xxx on the clock. They're asking $1295 for it. I took it to my mechanic, who is also my friend, so we could have a look at it from underneath. We found that the rear main seal on the tranny is leaking some oil, the rear brake lines are corroded and also leaking a little bit, and the fuel tank is also leaking. Now, I didn't expect everything to be perfect since the truck is 16 years old. When I dropped it off at the dealer, I showed them the paper that my mechanic typed up listing the problems that we found. They said they'd knock the price down to $1000 and dock the title fee or whatever. So I would only have to pay $1060.

Now, my mechanic said that he would help me fix the problems at no charge and I could do it at his shop. I found a fuel tank from Advance Auto Parts online for this truck or only $128.15 shipped to my apartment.

He says, buy the truck. I'm actually kind of leaning towards buying it also just because it does kinda have low miles for an 89. The body has a couple rust spots but nothing to really bitch about. The interior is damn near immaculate, except for a little rip in the seat. The transmission shifts very smooth, no problems getting into gear, clutch feels strong, and motor starts right up with no problems.

From what I told you, would you guys shell out the $1000 to buy this truck?

I just want to get some opinions from people who actually own these trucks and what they think about them. I am going to be using it as a third vehicle for me and my girlfriend to haul stuff around in, mainly bicycles and just something extra for me to play around with.

Here is a link to the dealer's website with a picture of the truck. Bart's Car Store

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Default RE: Noobie, have a question

Looks like a pretty decent truck for only a $1000 to me. Especially if you and your buddy are able to due the repairs needed by yourself. I would snap it up in a quick minute myself.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:53 PM

I bought it! Just picked it up a couple hours ago. I am now a proud owner of a Honda and a Mazda, couldn't be happier.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: defaced

I bought it! Just picked it up a couple hours ago. I am now a proud owner of a Honda and a Mazda, couldn't be happier.

haha, so much for buying it in a day or two as you mentioned earlier. prices can be very tempting sometimes, and i would completely be on your side since the vehicle as sold as such a good deal! let us know how everything goes with your new "baby"!