Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Locking differential?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Default Locking differential?

Hi first post here ^^

Anyways bought a 1995 Mazda B2300 2WD single cab not to long ago and i brought it in to the dealer looking to see if i can get a LSD or locking diff but was told its not possible to get an LSD for this year of truck because it was not an option when it was in production n that mazda doesnt make a locker. And they wont do the work even if i get a part.

Well a little poking around on the net brought up a locking diff made by powertrax but im not exactly sure if the part will fit my truck like it is an old truck so the rear could have bin changed or different one put in for the 95 year for whatever reason and im not knowlagble as far as mechanics goes but i can assume it is bone stock as nothing on the truck was changed right down the am/fm radio?

I would like to ebay the part and then find someone who will install it after i have the part but i would like to be sure its the right one and i have everything i need to be sure the job is finished so my trucks not off the road for weeks and i dont wanna be out 400$ just to find out it wont work My truck gets stuck in the most retarded conditions that even a riced & lowered FWD car could get through which is why i would like a closed/locked diff lol

So how do i verify that this will work/fit my B-Series 100%? If someone could take the information from the sites below and put it in plain english & explain how to verify im not throwing my money away that would be awsome ^^

Link to powertrax site
http://www.powertrax.com/powertrax/lrapplications.html

Link to ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-08...Q5fAccessories

Old 11-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Default RE: Locking differential?

those trucks 1994 & up were Ford Rangers..just look for a locker for a Ford 7.5" rear..you can DEFFINETLY get them for your truck

Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 AM

Well thats what i wanted to hear Thanks Tet

Ive got another question also so instead of starting a new thread i will just ask here.

Is it normal for these trucks to have alot of play in the rear end? Its a 5speed manual 2wd and its kind of a first for me so i have nothing to compare to as far as manual or B-Series goes but it feels like theres ALOT of play in the rear end. Like if I put it in 1st gear let the clutch fully engage and rev it to say 2500rpm's hold the rpms there and just let go of the gas with clutch still fully engaged it kinda jolts the truck and if i step back on the gas it will jolt it again. When i say step off/on the gas i mean lightly enuff to say if i let it drop from 2500 to 2000 it will hold at 2000 with no acceleration when i press the gas again. Thats how lightly i would be steping on the gas but its still jolts?

Same kinda jolt when shifting gears unless I feather the clutch. I was told its normal but really to me it seems like way to much play in it. And theres enuff noise when its does this.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM

hey man it does sound like you have alot of play in that rear end but it is not in your gears, it sound like you probably have bad u-joints and possibly a carrier bearing (the piece that holds the middle of the drive shaft), they are all really easy to change and at about 30 dollars for each u-joint and 100-150 for the carrier it isnt that expensive the only thing is you need a 1/2 inch twelve point socket to take the bolts out that connect the shaft to the diff.

hope that this helps, good luck

Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 AM

Carrier bearing?? Does the 2wd model have one? Sorry I'm not a mechanic just know enuff in theory to have an idea of where the problem is coming from. Did a google on it and it seems like a 4wd part?

Anyways I will have the u-joints changed and the carrier bearing but its started some new noise more like a ping only once in a while during the initial load from like leaving a stop sign and in reverse its just not all the time like once every 20 stops. Also I put the parking brake on well it was on flat ground with it in neutral and reached under the truck and attempted to turn the driveshaft and I can turn it a little under 1/2" And if it helps the clunk is less in higher gears like 5th gear at 2500rpm doing same as in the above post the clunk is almost non existant. It's there but not nearly as noticeable. As gear/speed lower the more its noticeable.

As for the locker I'm gonna get it for the snow but the clunk and new ping i just want gone regardless of cost Trucks starting to make me nervous when running around as i think its gonna leave me on the side of the road. ><

Edit: Pings were bolts for the exhaust. Broke when leaving a stop sign? Hows thats possible I don't know lol Rattle sound started after the most resent ping so I climbed under the truck and the pipe can be turned from the tip to the headers.