Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

89 b2200

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Default 89 b2200

Just bought this truck today. got a great deal on it paid 650 for it and it has lots of new parts. I know the guy before me put parts into it trying to weed out the problem he told me about and I thought I could probably fix. If you let it sit and idle for a bit it will idle fine but then after about 5 mins its starts to hesitate and then eventually die. . If you rev it a bit when it starts to die it will run for another 3 5 mins . It also hesitates a bit when climbing hills or accelerating hard. One thing i did do is take the air filter off and spray carb cleaner in it . That time it idled alot longer before dieing. I *think* the light brown stuff in the carb that left when i sprayed cleaner in it was oil. Oh It also always stalls once your speed drops below 25 or so when applying the brakes to stop the truck unless you kick it in nuetral and give it a little gas.
Im wondering if the pcv isnt working , or a plugged converter. I sprayed all the vacuum lines with carb cleaner while it was running as my Dad used to do this on carburated engines when I was younger cause if there was a vacuum leak it would die a little when you sprayed it with carb cleaner. didnt change a thing. I know it can be fixed im just hoping someone has had this before and knows the answer to make it easy for me . . . Im also getting horrible gas mileage I only got 100 miles out of a half of tank .

Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM

I've had my 1988 B2200 for 16 years now, and I get a steady 19 mpg. But it's a damn fine truck. For you, the first thing I'd do would be to install a new fuel filter, typically on passenger fender partly hidden under the air cleaner, white plastic one, near the mechanical fuel pump. Automatics may have them under the bed on the chassis rail as they have electric fuel pumps in the tank.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 PM

Yeah I realized today it smelled like gas alot , and none is leaking . when i shone a flashlight in the carb there was quite a bit of gas flying around in there while at an idle. Someone told me I shouldnt see that much and its probably flooding. A nice older gentleman at the local scrapyard told me it probably either has a sticky needle valve or a a sunk float. sometimes they fill up with gas and sink . In order to get it restarted i have to hold it to the floor which is the sign of a flooded carb. Are a sticky needle valve and a sunk float the only things that can load up a carb with gas? Also the guy who owned it before me said he replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump