Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Default Need opinions

i've been considering buying a friend of mines 1989 mx-6. it's the LX model, the one that came with all the power options, sun roof, etc. It's a 5 speed, pretty well taken care of. I just wanted to know how you guys felt about this year for the mx-6, is it worth buying? or is it going to be more trouble then good. i've never owned a mazda, so i figured i'd import one into my garage for a project.

don't be shy, be blunt. i appreciate in advance all the opinions that will be given. thanks guys.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM

come on guys... 8 views and no replies, i know this website has it's good share of members. and if you're on here most likely you're a mazda maniac. just a little bit of insight is all i'm asking for.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 AM

I can't say about the MX-6 but I have just acquired a MX-3 and have to say they are a lot of fun to drive. I say go for it even if it is a project.
Think you will enjoy it!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Well... OK Michael. Here ya' go!
I like the body style of those years and was aggressively searching for an early-mid '90's model myself about 10yrs ago.
I think they drive and feel MUCH better than their Ford Probe counter-parts. A lot less sloppy and with a lighter, more civilized feel which I highly prefer.
You don't state the mileage or general condition, or what your intentions for the car would be once done? Or, how much time and effort you would be willing to put into it?
Is this a turbo model?
'89 saw the advent of a 4W steering system. Does this car have that?

But: 1989 means the car is now 20yrs old. It's liable to need a lot of work, body and/or mechanical.
Parts are probably not an issue right now but could become one in a few years. These are not classic cars. Sooner or later, as they disappear from the roads the availability of parts will also.
Performance/Mod parts. I wouldn't expect too much from this segment either. The AM is and has to be rather fickle about what they produce in order to stay competitive and in business.
Is that the kind of feedback you are looking for?