Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Headlight main beam problems help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Default Headlight main beam problems help needed

whenever i am using my lights and switch my high beams on the dash lights and rear lights go out, i have looked in the fuse box for blown fuses and the like but to no avail. also when i turn my front fog lights on when using my headlights the dash dims. I have checked my front fogs and i noticed that one of them was blown and with what looked like a lot of condensation on the inside of it. Could this be my problem?? or is this a bigger problem than just a front fog being blown??

I have a 1992 MX3 1.8 DOHC 24 Valve V6.

If anyone can offer any help can you please base it on the european wiring as i am in england and i have heard that some of the american and euro wiring is different.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 AM

For US cars:

One solution to intermittent or permanent headlight failure can be found on the post by SEVARGMT on 9-29-2010.

It seems to lie in corrosion of the wiring system connectors in the PJB, a specific wire connection junction box located under the passenger side glove compartment box.

It seems possible to repair the corroded pin connector but it is probably best to have the dealer replace the entire PJB to avoid repeats of this problem, as it is a dangerous situation when headlights go out at night, like mine did.

Brilliant problem solving by SEVARGMT and DJS2571. They also developed a convincing theory of what causes this problem: the air conditioning line located above this box creates condensation, which then drips down on the wire connectors and causes them to corrode, causing an electrical fault. They suggest a plastic drip sheet to avoid future corrosion.

Wouldn't it be great if Mazda assigned an engineer to read the forums for problems with their cars and prepare posts with solutions? It is plainly obvious that a problem is very common when you look at the number of "views" listed for certain topics, such the headlights (many thousands of owners have headlight failure problems). Mazda should have issued a bulletin or a recall since the corroding PJB is clearly a safety problem. This looks like a design/engineering flaw. Every electrician and plumber knows to never put moisture sources above electrical boxes. Shame on them.