Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

could use peoples thoughts on this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Default could use peoples thoughts on this!!!!

Hi everyone i went out to start my car this morning (a 92 mx-3 1.8V6) and the key wouldnt turn. I thougt the steering column was just locked so i jiggle it and still nothing. I have tried with the steering wheel in every position i can think.

If anyone has a thought it would be very very appreciated.
Thank You
Cory

Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM

All I can say is to wiggle the key, and maybe not press it in hard since it may be going in too far to unlock properly.
Being a 92, it may be time for a new ignigion, but i'm not sure how difficult that is (if you can do it yourself or not), but you may be able to get parts from a junkyard. Or something i've seen people do in the past - once you get it turned, just never turn it all the way to lock and put a towel over the ignition so people don't see there's a key in the ignition already.

Another option is to hot wire it, you can find the info on what to hook together on a website set up for remote starter installs... like the12volt.com

Also, make sure there isn't a lot of weight on your keychain, that's a common issue, if there's a lot of weight there when you're driving around, it can wear out the mechanism.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Default Flip the key over?

Is this an original key? or copy. When I had a new key made for mine(broke). I was informed that(by a couple of locksmiths) that mazda's are particularly finicky and that having a key made from the factory numbers is more reliable....(usually can be looked up via code on key).
Normal failure mode is turns on ok, but then will not turn fully off and release the key.
Sure enough, I first inserted the key and it wouldn't even turn, Flipped it over turned all right but spent next 10 minutes coaxing it back out.
Jeweler files, key lube and a short time later I had it working smoothly one way but still a bit sticky the other.
I have also found that slightly pushing in or pulling out from the off to the key removal location is very common on worn locks.
Cleaning and lubing will help.
Next step is to open it up and see what is really happenning.
Good luck
don't do the leave the key in all the time thing, Ignition switches are typically affixed to the steering column in a way that requires you to cu/pop the band that holds them there plus usually no keys so be prepared to have a key made if you go that route.
dmxf

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Default Flip the key over?

Is this an original key? or copy. When I had a new key made for mine(broke). I was informed that(by a couple of locksmiths) that mazda's are particularly finicky and that having a key made from the factory numbers is more reliable....(usually can be looked up via code on key).
Normal failure mode is turns on ok, but then will not turn fully off and release the key.
Sure enough, I first inserted the key and it wouldn't even turn, Flipped it over turned all right but spent next 10 minutes coaxing it back out.
Jeweler files, key lube and a short time later I had it working smoothly one way but still a bit sticky the other.
I have also found that slightly pushing in or pulling out from the off to the key removal location is very common on worn locks and usually works better than just jiggling.
Cleaning and lubing will help.
Next step is to open it up and see what is really happenning.
Good luck
don't do the leave the key in all the time thing, Ignition switches are typically affixed to the steering column in a way that requires you to cu/pop the band that holds them there plus usually no keys so be prepared to have a key made if you go that route.
dmxf