Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

brake light in dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Default brake light in dash

everytime i hit the brake pedal, the light in the dash comes on. I have checked the rear lights and they are all working. any one have any ideas as wear to check next. tks. its a 1991mx6

Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM

Check your brake fluid in the master cylinder

Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM

brake fluid is full and rear lights are working

Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Default brake light

Have you replaced any brake light bulbs recently? That's the simplest answer I could think of, if the current is breaking or if there is a loose connection or rubbing wiring harness. Also if you have ABS I have the diagnostic steps to check it I could send.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 AM

thanks for replying cuz i have a couple different issues with my car. this is just one. ill post another thread on the other. I did replace bulbs and all lights are working. Any particular bulb that should be used? i did notice that sometimes there is flickering of the brake light in the dash. but most of the time its stays on. brake fluid is full also. i do believe i have ABS.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 AM

In your first post in the thread, you said it comes on when you hit the brake pedal. In your last post, you say all the time. Is it on all the time now?
Either way, I'd suggest taking a look at your hand brake. The switch for the 'dummy' light may not be in the right spot, or a penny or something similar may be lodged in there, causing the switch to send signal to the light that hand brake is engaged.
I've never dealt with abs, but the abs vehicles i've driven had a separate abs light for that system.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 AM

sorry but what i meant to say was that once in a great while the light will flicker when i hit the brake, but most of the time when i hit the brake the light comes on , stay on and doesnt flicker when braking

Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 AM

That is a bit odd. I'd suggest finding out if your car has abs. Then we'll know whether or not that could be a fault.
The abs vehicles i've driven, which were Fords, the abs light came on when braking heavy, indicating the system was engaged. The light would stay on afterwards, till the engine was turned off. I picked up somewhere that the light also serves as a warning light, if the system has a problem.
If there's no documentation with the car, or anything that obviously indicates abs, look at the cv axles. By the wheel hub assembly, there would be a round piece on the axle with teeth on it, almost like a sprocket. A magnetic sensor would be mounted to the hub assembly, with a very small gap between sensor and teeth, if it is abs. oh yeah, and there would be a manifold block by the master cylinder. brakes lines from master cylinder would go to it, then lines go from it to the wheels. That'd be easier to check actually, lol.
I'd wonder if there may be a small vacuum leak effecting both your start up and brakes. Brake booster uses engine vacuum to increase braking force, so a vacuum leak could effect it. it is possible...
Check that hand brake though. when i replaced rear brake pads on my mx3, disc brakes, i loosened the hand brake cable. when done, i was messing with adjusting the cable when i saw the light was on. had a bent penny that somehow got close enough to the sensor to trigger the light. that was a pain to get out of there! if you've something similar, it could be moving forward to the sensor when you hit the brakes. sometimes it stays there, keeping the light on. sometimes, it doesn't. Just a possibility, and was the first easy-fix that came to mind.
I also wonder about the brake fluid. You said level was fine, but does it look ok? moisture could accumulate in the system, changing the viscosity of the fluid. Do your brakes feel strong?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 AM

all brakes are new but the pedal is weak now that you mention it. i also thing the emergency brake handle dash light is a different light than the rear brakes dash light

Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 PM

We are dealing with different cars, so I don't know about a different dash light for the brakes in your mx6.
My mx3's have one brake light in the dash, and it is used for the hand brake and brake system problems (like low fluid).
If pads are new and brakes are weak, you could change the brake fluid. Basically bleed out the entire system. Had to do it to my Jeep last summer. Had a lot of moisture in the brake fluid and brakes were weak and unsteady. When i changed master cylinder, I bled the entire system. Seemed to help it. I still have some brake work to do on it though.

Quick Reply: brake light in dash