Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

95 MX6 Started after timing belt repair, but stopped turning over.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Default 95 MX6 Started after timing belt repair, but stopped turning over.

Good afternoon all,

I had a broken timing belt on my 1995 MX-6 V6 which I repaired as well as replaced the water pump. After putting everything back together, I filled with new fluids and new spark plugs and the car started and sounded normal. (I ran it for 2-3 mins a few times)

My next step was to remove each spark plug one at a time and check the compression which was decent at ~175. The engine started with the remaining 5 sparkplugs for each test except the last two cylinders, and only let the engine run for a couple seconds to get an accurate compression reading.

After testing and replacing the final spark plug the engine would crank, but not start. I was getting gas, but no spark when I tested the plugs. Any ideas where I should start to diagnosis?

Last edited by 100goals; 07-18-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Syntax
Old 07-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

How about the battery? Could have died from the cranking with no charging.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Heritage Mazda
How about the battery? Could have died from the cranking with no charging.
I'm sorry I worded my earlier message poorly.
The engine does crank and I charged the battery to 100%, but it doesn't start. I also had a friend try to start the car while I held a screwdriver to a plug but didn't see a spark.
The crank angle sensor wire connector was a little loose but like I said the car started 5-6 times without hesitation then didn't start at all so don't think it went bad all of a sudden. Also would a bad crank angle sensor cause no spark? I bought a cheap odb2 diagnostic tool with an adapter for an old 95 Mazda but it will not power up and was hoping someone here might have an idea how I might troubleshoot this problem.