Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

92 mazda mx-3 1.8L . Drain the gas and clean the injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Default 92 mazda mx-3 1.8L . Drain the gas and clean the injectors?

So 10 years ago my brother put his mazda in my garage and never gave it another thought. Last week I pulled it out and like a champ it started right up. So I did the breaks, changed the oil, air filter, and cleaned her up. It runs great until it gets below half a tank of gas. At that point it will lose power in turns and sputter when you give it too much gas. It feels like im pumping the gas when i try to reach high speeds on the highway.

I assume this is a fuel issue and would like to gt your opinion. It sat with hardly any gas in it all that time. Im going to figure out how to drain the gas but im confused as to how to treat the fuel injectors.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:33 PM

Remove the back seat bottom to access the fuel pump. Sitting that long the inside tank coating has probably broken loose. If so it will need a new tank or that one cleaned and recoated. The fuel pressure regulator is probably no good but adding Techron or seafoam to the gas tank can clean the injectors up assuming the tank is clean. The running bad going around corners is a dead giveaway for fuel contamination.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Awesome Hixx! Thanks for your input

I will take a look at that tomorrow and let you know what I find

Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Agree 100%, and while you're at it, you might have to change the fuel line too. The fuel filter is integral with the pump, so all the crud accumulated in the fuel lines can still get to the front end and cause regulator/ injector problems.
In a similar vein, after you did the brakes, did you try a panic stop? If not you may get a big surprise when a corroded brake line lets go.