Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

1994 MX-3 GS (1.8 V6) Taking too long to start and cutting out sometimes at idle...somebody please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Default 1994 MX-3 GS (1.8 V6) Taking too long to start and cutting out sometimes at idle...somebody please!

I have a 94 MX-3 GS (1.8 V6) and it kicks over for way too long before it starts, also, sometimes it stalls from idle (at traffic lights) especially when the clutch is down.
The local mechanic said it would need a 'tune up' before he could look at the problem and quoted $400 + tax for a fuel filter, air filter, plugs and wire set. I took the airfilter off and it didn'tfix the problem, so I replaced the plugs myself and ordered the ignition wire set and fuel filter for less then a third of whathe quoted.

What I have done: Replaced spark plugs

What I am doing next: Replacing ignition wire set and fuel filter (high pressure side) as soon as parts come in from order

Other ideas: I'mcurrently going through the 1995 workshop manual to try and test every sensor and control valve that feeds into the ECU, I might also go and buy a fuel pressure gauge and try and check all the lines.???...

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS? ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, IF I DON'T FIX THIS PROBLEM SOON I WILL BE FORCED TO TEAR A BRANCH OFF A TREE AND GIVE THE CAR A GOOD THRASHING - FAULTY TOWERS STYLE...

[IMG]local://upfiles/16483/349CF376742B450682591CE2CDAE87F0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16483/23F6000EC4CD49C683AE543265E3B49F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Default RE: 1994 MX-3 GS (1.8 V6) Taking too long to start and cutting out sometimes at idle...somebody please!

Are you getting any cel codes??? If there is any issues with sensors/seloniods It will through codes. Did you check your fpr?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Default RE: 1994 MX-3 GS (1.8 V6) Taking too long to start and cutting out sometimes at idle...somebody please!

I have just replaced the ignition wire set, problem still there.......

kirk95gs - I'm not to sure what a cel code is? I don't have any equip to read codes from the car computer if that's what you mean. As for the fpr, I have checked the vacum from the PRC solenoid but not much more then that, I'm currently trying to replace the fuel filter (high pressure side), it's bloody awkward to get at so I've left it for the day and will carry on in the morning. I definately feel it is something to do with the fuel pressure so am going for the consumable stuff first (fuel filter etc), because if it's old and clogged then that could reduce the pressure I guess?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Replaced the fuel filter today, didn't fix the problem but the old one was clogged completely, I tried blowing through one end and hardly any air at all came out - word of warning: replacing the fuel filter on an MX-3 is not a walk in the park, it can be done as I found out today but it took some time and alot of patience.

Next stop is gonna be testing the pressure regulator, the vacum from the PRC solenoid valve seems good, but I need to read up on how to test the pressure regulator. I have found a place that does them new for $78, will see how it goes......

P.S - I have been on some forums in my time, but this has to be the lonleyest ever......just ticking clocks and tumbleweeds in here, somebody throw me a frickin bone.