Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

1991 Mazda MX-6 Dying while driving problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Default 1991 Mazda MX-6 Dying while driving problem

Sorry if this is not the right board to post this question.

I have a 1991 MX-6 4cyl. The car has been shutting off while driving. But it will start right back up after it shuts off while driving. It does it any time I start to slow down rpm gauge drops to zero can't give it any gas to try and make it stay running. I can throw it in neutral start it back up and drive till i slow down again then it repeats the same thing.

Anyone have a good ideal what this is? I thinking Idle Air Control Valve or Throttle Position Sensor but like to have some advice. I'm new to Mazda

Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Hi! Welcome to the forums!! If you could please put your cars info into your signature (year, model, engine, trans etc) it would help us all out

Is it an automatic or manual? Does it turn off like if you turned off the ignition or is it a slow loss of power to zero?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM

It is an automatic. Guess you would say it is a slow lost of power. Running fine I hit break rpm will drop to zero. Check engine light flickers then all dash light come like I just have the key turned to accessories. Then I throw it up in neutral starts right back up and give it gas it goes. But soon as I let off gas and break it will repeat all of the above. Can park for thirty min it may run fine the rest of the day no matter how many times I stop. But there is days it will do this all day.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM

It is an automatic. Guess you would say it is instance lost of power. Running fine I hit break rpm will drop to zero. Check engine light flickers then all dash light come like I just have the key turned to accessories. Then I throw it up in neutral starts right back up and give it gas it goes. But soon as I let off gas and break it will repeat all of the above. Can park for thirty min it may run fine the rest of the day no matter how many times I stop. But there is days it will do this all day.

Rmp gauge will drops to zero almost instancely around 2k Rmp or lower. Then all lights are on like accessories is on.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 PM

If it only happens when your braking maybe there is an issue with the transmission where the torque converter is staying locked up or its not downshifting and stalling the engine out, kinda like coming to a stop in 5th gear.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Well now it wont start at all, it shut down on the road then wouldnt fire back up. Its cranking strong but wont fire. Have no spark from plugs. Any ideals of how i can find out what it is. Do these cars have a Inertia Switch on them? I checked the coil and I do have power to coil but I still cant get no spark to plugs. So do i need new dizz

Last edited by azazel; 03-22-2012 at 09:29 AM.