Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Water causes stereo not to work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Default Water causes stereo not to work?

I have a 2003 MPV that has a problem with water. If this vehicle is parked out in the rain, or if I go through a car wash it causes the stereo sound to not work. If the stereo is on, and the vehicle gets wet, it's OK. So for example, if I go through a car wash my stereo will work, but if I then park and shut off the vehicle, the stereo lights up, but no sound. The only way I have found to get this sound to come back on is if I open and then close the front passenger door. Sounds weird, but it works. Anyone else run across a similiar problem, or a fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Ron Osborne

Old 06-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Default RE: Water causes stereo not to work?

Sounds like perhaps the water is getting into an area on the speaker where it should not a causing a short. If either of the speaker wires short to ground then all stereo sound from all speakers is lost. Stereo still seems to function normally, just no sound output. Might think about taking off that door panel and seeing if the speaker is getting wet or if one of the bare wires between the speaker connector and cone are close to the speaker chassis body which is the most common source for grounding out.