Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Stuck Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Default RE: Stuck Ignition Key

I appreciate the offer, but I can live with just disconnecting it (which I did yesterday, simple with your instructions/pics)..

Thanks so much for the help, now I can go back to driving my car and the wife gets the MPV back.

Mike

PS. I'll definitely be back here for future problems.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:44 PM

I have a 2001 MPV with the same problem. [:'(] It must be a chronic problem with this year/model. Anyhow, I have the top column cover off and am looking for the microswitch to check the contacts. I think I have found it on the far-upper-back-right, but see no obvious way to remove it. I'd be HUGELY grateful if someone could post pics/instructions for how to remove and inspect it.

My local Mazda dealer is "sub-par" and I'd love to fix this myself.

Thanks,
Abc

(How sub-par you ask? After four visits in a row to address an "Engine" dash light, they assured me each time that it was fixed and the light was off. Each time the light was on. I didn't bother with a fifth visit.)

Old 06-25-2006, 12:32 AM

That would definitely be considered sub-par. Have you since resolved this 'engine' light on? You could disconnect the connector for the microswitch and do a continuity check but unplugging the connector for the key interock solenoid will pretty much tell you the same thing. The switch provides the ground path for the solenoid. The microswitch is unfortunately not available as a separate part to replace although you might be able to locate a similar switch from an electronic specialty store. Will see I can get you some removal tips but will probably intail removing the combo switch as there is not a whole lot of room to work in there as I am sure you know.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:12 PM

My wife's MPV, 2002, just developed the same problem. I did find if I "slam" it into park, the key will come out. Guess I will pull the top of the coloumn for now and pull that switch. Thanks for the pic, should make my life much easier.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Hi babyhuey,

No, I never did get the dash light issue resolved. They replaced an oxygen sensor but I think forgot to turn off the light. I'm going to try a different dealer, inconveniently farther away, and hopefully have better luck.

Anyhow, I still haven't been able to fix the stuck key problem except by taking out the hazards fuse which, of course, disables the turn indicators. I'll take another look at it today, but any further advice would be helpful.

Abc

Old 06-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Well, I took another look and I believe I found the switch. (a little thin metal paddle?) From what I can tell, it seems to be broken as it will stick to the shifter grease and then fall when tapped. In other words, the spring seems to be shot.

I guess it will have to go into the shop since replacing the whole assembly is far more work than I want to attempt for a family car. [&o]

Thanks for the help.

Abc

Old 07-10-2006, 08:34 AM

hello babyhuey

with your help i was able to figure out a trick that works, i installed a toggle switch under the dashboard or in the small space just like a cellphone compartment, and wired it to the hazzard fuse, so i dont have to open the fuse box near the pedals and pull it out then back, just fine solder the ends of the two wire plug it in the fuse socket where you removed the fuse, cut/break one line, put the fuse in between (solder or better yet make a socket for it), run the wires trough the dash and flip the switch when removing the key. also as an update you can use a push button switch so you wont forget to flip it back to ON when driving and wonder why you dont have signal lights hhehehe,.. hmm ok right now im thinking of putting the switch just beside the ignition key area so it may look like some other cars that you push the button to release the key hmm hehehe. how about that guys. make it safe ok.

alright ill see you guys again and to you babyhuey THANKS A LOT and GOD BLESS

Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 PM

That is a very clever idea osenessmpv.[sm=goodidea.gif]. Also a good idea to use a push button momentary switch so you will not forget to turn it back on.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:32 AM

Babyhuey,

I'm having the same problem. Where can I find that part retail (I'm having trouble locating anything online)?

To confess, I had problems with the pop-up camper lights today and believe I may have caused a short by being sloppy with the di-electric grease. Right after that, I had a brake light out and this problem began. Could that have caused it? I've been through the fuse panels and cannot find anything blown, and the hazard light fuse trick works perfectly, so I'm guessing it's this combo switch.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:15 PM

What year MPV do you have sprybot. There are different part numbers depending upon model year. It may be possible that shorting something in the trailer harness could affect the park switch but an outside chance. Since we have had so many with this problem of late I did a bit of investigating into ways you could check for sure and even disable without pulling fuses etc.

Quick Reply: Stuck Ignition Key