Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Replacing Front Lights 2004 MPV

Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Default Replacing Front Lights 2004 MPV

I have a 2004 MPV and wanted to replace the front turning signal lights as well as the low /high beam lights. I have the bulbs on hand, but ran into a problem when trying to figure out how to replace them. If anyone has done this or has a diagram or step by step instructions on how to accomplish this project it would be greatly appreciated. I just do not want to start pulling and unscrewing stuff just to find out that i just broke it. LOL thanks in advance

Old 04-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Default RE: Replacing Front Lights 2004 MPV

To replace the headlight bulb just unplug the electrical connector and pull the rubber boot/water seal off of the back of headlight assembly. You will then see the bulb and a wire spring holding it in place. One of the legs of the wire spring is longer and I think has a loop in the end. Depress this end slightly and pivot out slightly to release it from the hook. The wire spring will then pivot out of the way to allow you to remove and replace the bulb.
For the turn signal bulbs. Again, just remove the electrical connector and then rotate the bulb socket about 45' counter clockwire and pull out of the housing. Replace bulb and reinstall. The socket will only go in one way so make note of how it looked before removing and will help same time finding the right oriantation to reinstall.
If you are also looking at replacing the turn signal bulbs just in front of the front doors, then just slide the entire lens assembly forward about 1/4- 1/2" and then lift rear of lens away from sheet metal.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/30F7A4C8D536459DA91B8F79FD8B5ED1.gif[/IMG]
Headlight bulb R&R

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/0275757CF35242E48C48BCD117A747A6.gif[/IMG]
Turn signal bulb R&R

Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 AM

Thank you babyheuy......but i do not see a way to get to the turn signal bulbs on the 2004 mpv. seems like i would need to take the whole light housingaway from the vehicle to get to the amber lights. also thanks for the attchments on both my questions of lights and parking brake.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:26 PM

You are very welcome tonto26. Let me take a closer look at our shop van in the morning to see if I can tell you more about the accessability. Were you able to replace the headlight bulbs ok?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Well not really had a problem taking the bulb out and did not wat to force the issue, so for right now i have not changed the bulbs.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Can anyone help me out. I spent my saturday trying to fix my headlight. I thought the bulb went out but after i took my whole bumper off and pulled the light out i found out that its not the bulb at all it looks like there is now power going to it. I took the driver side headlight out and tested the bulb that i thought was dead and it worked fine. So with that being said dose anyone have any idea what is wrong with my headlight and how i can fix it.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Yikes tonto26, you are dead right about the turn signal bulb not being very accessable. Did not mention anything about that in the shop manual so just assumed that was easy to get to.[:@]Looks light you need to go thru the fenderliner to get to it. There are little fasteners on out edge that hold liner in place. I had to take out the first five starting from the bottom to enable getting an opening large enough to work thru. See pic below. There fasteners are removed by turning the phillips shaped center part counterclockwise 45' or so. Just make sure the outer ring of the fastener does not turn also and will then pull right out. You can then get to the turn bulbs by turning the socket counterclockwise 45' and pulling out. Make note of how the socket is oriented as it will only reinstall one way. I had to use both hands to get the darn thing to turn and still ended up cutting nuckle on the sheet metal[:@]. Needed to put one hand above the fender brace and one below as seen in the second pic below.
What kind of problems were you having with the headlight bulbs and can get some pics of that one to if necessary.

casey333. What year is your MPV??? and are both side headlights out and is it just high beams, low beams, or both?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/A1B8224359CB46CCA4B3832BA1AC75F6.jpg[/IMG]
These five fasteners were remove to allow fender liner to be pulled aside to get to bulb

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/9D53C1B14E1C4E028F8A90CB4E2F4ACD.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the elusive turn signal bulb. Note the white crossbrace just below bulb socket that was strategicaly placed in exactly the right spot to be completely in the way.[:@]

Old 04-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Its a 2004 mazda 3 hatchback. Its just the low beam on the passenger side. everything else works fine.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Do you know how to get to your PJB or Passenger Junction Box above the passenger footwell? It should be in your owners manual under fuse box. On the underside of the cover you first remove is a diagram of which fuse is which. There are a lot. You want to find the one labeled HEAD LOW R. This is 15 amp fuse for the right side low beam headlight. Check that fuse and replace if needed and see if your headlight will work then.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM

I got to a jucntion box under the glove box and it had Head L and Head R and they were both 10 amps. I checked that out and the fuses were fine. Im I looking in the right spot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Front Lights 2004 MPV