Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

MPV front passenger door central locking

Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Default MPV front passenger door central locking

I own a MPV 2.5 petrol v6 year 2000.
I have had no problems until recently when the front passenger door central locking stopped working.
The strange thing is that if I put the key in the front passenger door to open it then it operates the central locking on the other doors OK.If I turn the key and pull the front passenger door handle at the same time then I can open the door, the second I release the tension on the key then the front passenger door reverts back to locked.From the inside again if I sit in the front passenger door seat and manually hold the locking latch in the unlock position and pull the door handle then the front passenger door will open.
All the other doors work as they should do with no problems.
The local Mazda dealer wants me to bring it in to see whats wrong and charge by the hour then if they find the problem they will put it back together order the parts and get me to bring it back .Effectly charging me twice for the job.What a rip off!
Has anyone had the same problem on their MPV ?
I really cant afford to pay the Main Dealer rates so if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Default RE: MPV front passenger door central locking

it sounds like it is the actuator. I changed mine on the driver door, it took 30 min and $175 for the actuator.

there are 5 screws to remove , door handle, latch handle, the light (behind the lens) and 2 plastics on the outside, pry open gently.
Then remove the 3 outside screws holding the latch system and remove the 2 plastic connector holding the linkage to the key barrel and outside door handle. The entire latch system will come off. You can then start working on the system itslef and remove the actuator.

MAke sure you observe how it is put together. good luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Default RE: MPV front passenger door central locking

Hey I actually just posted a very similar message about my van having an issue similar to yours. My driver's side door will not lock at all but the rest of the doors will. See my message above for more details. I also cannot afford to pay Mazda to fix this problem so I was hoping it is something I can do myself.