Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

HELP! 2004 MPV - automatic passenger door won't stay closed!

Old 02-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Default HELP! 2004 MPV - automatic passenger door won't stay closed!

Hello!
So glad I found this site!
Has anyone had issues with their automatic sliding doors not working? My MPV is at the dealer today for the FOURTH time! My passenger door "pops" back open when it should close. Now the really frustrating thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. Some days it works with out any problems. Other days it just won't work at all. Luckily one time at the dealer it didn't work, so they can't give me the line about not being able to fix it, blah, blah, blah.
And the really scary thing is that on the times it doesn't work, when I'm driving and go over bigger bumps, it makes the sound like it will try to open. Thank god it hasn't, but I have three small kids with me, and I just pray all the time that we'll be safe.
So please help me. Has anyone else had this problem?
Today they said they think it must be a short. I have no confidence in the dealership - you won't believe what they told me last time. That they had worked on the wrong door the previous two times!!!!!
I'm at the point that I just don't even want to drive it anymore because I'm worried that something terrible will happen while driving it.
What do you suggest? Next steps?
Thanks for all your help!!!!
Debbie

Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Default RE: HELP! 2004 MPV - automatic passenger door won't stay closed!

Sometimes the door "forgets" where it is and pop back open as it closes. It happened to mine also once.

Until you can get the steps below, turn off the power feature by button in the lower dash so there is no way it will autmatically open.

Here is what the dealer did in two minutes and it worked perfect:

1. Be sure the automatic door power button is in the "ON" position - (by driver left knee)
2. Located main fuse box under hood, driver side to the right of the battery
3. Open cover and pull fuse #22(MAIN)
- you will need to reset radio stations
4. Push the door close/open button to confirm nothing happen
5. Press and release brake pedal - drains and voltage stored with system as a capacitor.
6. Replace fuse
7. Try normal operation of door

This will do it if it just a memory issue. If not, you may have a mechanical issue that needs dealer attention.

You can also just pull the fuse for the door (#22 also for pass door) from the fuse box by the driver left foot, but the above way is a more confirmed way of resetting the door.

Good Luck.