Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

engine check light

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:15 PM
jan
Default engine check light

Hi;
I have a 89 mpv, 4 cyl. auto, 240,000km/160.000miles. Canadian model, if that makes a difference. The engine checklight has come on and will just stay on, no blinking. On the forum somewhere i read about taking out a bolt/screw out of the back of the instruement panel. I went to the back of the instruement panel and located a ground bolt/screw and took it out. Then i discovered there are 4 bolts/screws marked gnd, I assume that gnd means ground. which 1 do I take out to clear the check light. At seperate times I took out the one behind the speedo and the other behind the tach. I noticed there are 2 more one at each side at the bottom.
Is it a combo deal?
Also. I read that I could take out the bolt and leave it out, is this correct.?
I am getting really good at taking out the instruement panel. The second time I was all done in about 5 minutes. It helps when you know what you are doing.
cheers jan

Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Default RE: engine check light

Not the one labled gnd. There are two screws close together on the upper left area of the cluster circuit board as you are holding in hand that are labled NO and NC. Just make sure there are no screws in either spot and the maintenance light will not come on again. Check engine light will still work normally but the 80k timer will be disabled.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:27 AM

I had a 1993 mazda mpv that was great however this time I got a lemon with my mazda mpv 2000 and nothing seems to be working right. The engine light has been on for almost one year and they can only pin point it to the evap code at the dealership. I thought I would start off basic and get a new gas cap. The light went out for a few days and then back on. This one is Canadian LOL...what can I say. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 PM

2000 MPV has probably 100 more codes that can be set then the 93. Howdy Doody to all this new technology eh!!.
Are you getting a P0455 evap large leak code mtapley? Try checking the wires to the purge solenoid valve. They have a bad habit of breaking or pulling out of the connecter due to the harness being too short. This purge solenoid valve is located on the large flexible black hose that connects the air cleaner housing outlet to the throttle body. Is the only one on that hose. Wire colors to the solenoid are Green w/ Black stripe and White w/ Red stripe. They usually break off right at the connector but have seen then break a little further into the harness 10-15 cm or so where the two little wires join the main harness. Have also seen a few problems with charcoal canisters being oversaturated with fuel most often caused by trying to squeeze that last 75 cents into the tank for an even dollar fill up but other is much more common and a lot easier to check for. Pic below is of similar solenoid on an 04.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/BE13068B67844A95BAC7A95F8930B4AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Hi!
Could someone give me the directions to get behind the instrumentals? Thanks you very much!!

The light is really anoying.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:48 AM

What year MPV do you have Karsten and when did the CEL come on?? Later model MPV does not have the reminder light to be reset. If you have early model MPV then are you comfortable with taking out the instrument cluster to reset. Is not too bad of a job to do but if first time then would set aside a couple of hours to finish the job. Have a 91 4X4 myself and could walk you thru the process if that is the case.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:21 PM

Hi!
Sorry, that im answering that late... i have bigger problems with the car now. its not starting.

but back to the engine check light. i have a 1992 MPV 3.0

Thanks for your help!
Karsten

Old 04-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Ok, finally i started to take of all the parts in front. i took the hood of the instrument panel and all the plastic stuff around it. but i cant take the instrument panel out, because i cant reach the plugs! And the cables are very short, so i can only take it out for 1 centimetre. Could someone please tell me, how i
can reach the plugs and take out the panel? Thank you!
Karsten

Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 PM

The electrical wires should not be too short to allow you to pull the cluster out far enough to unplug them Karsten.
Have you disconnected the speedometer cable and shift indicator wire? These must both be accessed from the underside of dash and reaching up to the back of the cluster. The end of the speedometer cable should be round with a little protrusion on it that when you press, the cable should release from the back of the instrument cluster. The shift indicator cable is also in this same area but you will first need to release the white hooked end from the shift lever pivot. Be very carefull with this hooked end as it is very easy to bend the tiny little spring piece on it and then gear position will not be displayed correctly when reinstalled. Further up the shift cable (or string as it is so small) you will see that it passes thru and is clipped into a bracket. Release this part also and I think you will find that the cluster will pull out much easier. Pull the cluster out rather gently as the shift indiator wire comes out with it and invariably manages to snag on something.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM

Thanks babyhuey!! Awesome, I made it! After your explanation it only took me 5 minutes to take off that stupid screw!

But now I am really anthusiastic! Our gears are not displayed any more. The red thing is on "S" all the time. The shift cable is not attached to the shift lever pivot any more. But it is also too long! Could it be, that it ripped off inside the instruments panel? Can I reach the other end somehow?

Thank you again for your great directions!
Karsten

Quick Reply: engine check light