Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

The EGR valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Default The EGR valve

Hi!
How works EGR the valve? I heard, that it can cause loss of dynamics during dispersal, and that it can be be to be disassembled and wash out. Whether difficultly it to make?
What still can cause loss of dynamics during dispersal , if the mistakes (CEL) are not registered.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Default RE: The EGR valve

Hello safa.
How works the EGR valve? Put simply, it is a valve that allows exhaust gases from the exhaust system back into the intake system. By doing this, the intake air is diluted with an inert gas (exhaust) that lowers the temperature in the combustion chamber and reduces the production of a certain pollutant called nitrides of oxygen. Am not sure what is meant by "causing loss of dynamics during dispersal" but here are the things that can happen if it is not working right. A valve that never opens does not really cause any problems that you would be aware of as a driver. Possible to have an increase in pre-ignition ( that would be a rattle noise from the engine that occurs when accelerating ) but not likely. A valve that is stuck open will cause rough idle more than anything. You might also have some loss of power from the engine. It is possilbe to remove and wash out. Below is a drawing of the valve and where it is on you engine. It is just to the rear of the black flexible intake hose from the air cleaner where it attaches to the engine. Will only need a 12mm socket and ratchet to remove the two attaching bolts and I think a 27mm wrench for the pipe from the exhaust.

Safa, I have an idea to help us with this language barrier if you would like to try. I have checked here where I live and there is a woman named Tatyana who was born in Russia and who works at the local college as a certified translator in Russian and French. I have talked with her and she said she would be happy to help translate. If it is possible for you to send a post in your Russian language describing as completely as possible all that we have been going thru with the problems since they have began perhaps we can get a little further then we have so far.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/BA09DFEDF9CD45C5A8C80B52C741F5D2.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/6F2154E05AFE4B1FB67B5A4A3FEBD26B.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM

Привет
Отличная идея воспользоваться помощью переводчика. И так начнем. В начале зимы в первый раз загорелся CEL, но скоро погас. Я подумал, что заправился некачественным бензином, но теперь я знаю, что это в первый раз залип клапан впускного коллектора. С этим вопросом вроде разобрались, хотя открыв блок управлениz заслонкой, не увидел поломки, хотя даже наблюдал залипание. Думаю еще поищу, хотя стало тепло и неполадка не проявляет себя уже месяц. Теперь о другом. Одновременно с морозами появились рывки при разгоне автомобиля и провалы, особенно провалы чувствуются при начале движения и на третьей передаче. Как будто на 1-2 секунды прекращается разгон, потом разгон возобновляется опять. В автосервисе мне порекомендовали заменить свечи и провода зажигания.
После замены рывки прекратились, провалы остались. Может быть это залип EGR клапан в открытом состоянии и душит двигатель, или загрязнились форсунки и при увеличении тяги заливают на секунду свечи, но врядли так внезапно могли. В любом случае CEL не загорается, поэтому найти поломку точно, не получается.
Просмотреть все агрегаты и дорого и сложно, запчастей совсем нет, кроме расходных материалов. Даже сняв EGR клапан придется вырезать новую прокладку. если получится.
*аньше моя Ауди А6 то же дергалась, промыли дроссельную заслонку и все прошло.
Может и здесь тоже нужно что нибудь промыть и проблема решиться? Не знаю понятно ли объяснил про провалы.
Спасибо Татьяне за помощь. Как говорят в *оссии-сообразим на троих (каламбур) и может решим проблему. Очень приятно babyhuey , что Вы столь активно пытаетесь мне помочь. С меня причитается.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Wow, what a beautiful written language. I have printed out and given it to Tatanya. She is going out of town for the Easter holiday but she said she might have a finished translation by Monday. I will let you know as soon as I do.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 AM

Hi
May be Тatyana has not understood me, and could not correctly translate the text?

Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 PM

Not nearly as well as I had hoped safa. Have tried several in this area and they all seem to have dificulty when it comes to words that deal with mechanical or technical vehicle specific things. Have sent the message to a large university in Eugene but have not heard anything back from them in almost a month so am not hopeful.
I was able to get some information though that was more than before. You said the CEL lighted in the beginning of winter and has since gone away with warmer weather. Do you remember what the code number was that was stored when the CEL came on? Should begin with letter 'P' or at least have 4 numerical digits in the code.
You also seem to have replace the spark plugs and plug wires which solved the "jerking" problem but seem to still have "failures" of some type. This "twitch" that you described in the Audi A6 went away when you washed out the throttle body. Only thing I can think of relating to this would be the gas pedal sticking when you try to take off from a stop and would feel like a hesitation or jerk. It is somewhat common on the MPV for this to happen and washing out will help quite a bit. I use an old toothbrush and carburetor cleaner to do this cleaning here.
You also seem to indicate that getting new "lining" or gaskets is near immpossible for the throttle body or EGR valve. If you do need some replacements and are unable to cut out your own then I could certainly send some to you. Have never sent anything to Russia before.[
One last thing. In the first post at top you said "loss of dynamics during dispersal". I think it is important to understand exactly what that means and I do not. These words "dispersal" and "failures" came up many times in the translation as in this phrase " Simultaneously with frosts there were jerks at dispersal of the car and failures, especially failures are felt at the beginning of movement and on the third transer. As though for 1-2 seconds dispersal, then dipersal stops and renews again". Is there perhaps another word or phrase that you could use in place of those words?

Best to you safa and hope to hear back from you soon.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Hi babyhuey!
I guessed, that there will be problems with translation, but hoped, that we shall understand each other. I shall try to solve Now a problem itself. If there will be still questions, shall necessarily address still!
Thanks!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 AM

Hi babyhuey and thank you very much for your responses re IAC & EGR.

Regarding your query in https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_26779/tm.htm

To be frank, I am also not too good in English as a whole and especially in mechanical language. What I can say in respect of Safa’s above Russian post is that in the beginning of winter he started to experience two problems – buck / jumpy ("jerking") acceleration and hesitation. In particular, he felt hesitation when he either accelerates from a stop or cruises on third gear. He later replaced sparks with wires and bucking disappeared but hesitation not. Safa presumed that EGR valve could be out of order.

I do not know whether Safa has manual or automatic transaxle. It is therefore rather difficult for me to estimate whether both driveability problems were due to only one reason. But I think that in any case defective EGR shall not cause noticeable hesitation. If new sparks & wires solved bucking but hesitation did not disappear then IMHO it is most likely that it was due to low fuel pressure and fuel injectors, regulator, all the filters including primary and / or pump shall be checked.

Please let me know if the above helps and feel free to ask if I may be of any further assistance.

To Safa

You may wish to have a look at http://www.mazda-auto.ru There is very good Mazda forum in Russian with a lot of experienced members, FAQ & manuals available for download.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Thank you Sirob for taking the time to look and give your advise. [

Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 AM

Thank for the help, necessarily I shall check up the fuel filter. Russian forum I visit regularly.

Quick Reply: The EGR valve