Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

distributor or cam sensor ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Default distributor or cam sensor ????

has anyone replaced one before ??what does thatt include...any helpful hints.. it is a 98 Mazda MPV 3.0L

Old 06-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Default RE: distributor or cam sensor ????

Distributor replacement is very easy on a 98 MPV. One 12mm bolt holds it in place. Remove the distributor cap and make carefull note of direction that the rotor is pointing. Remove old distributor and reinistall new with rotor pointing in the same direction. Start up and check timing with a timing light. New distributor does not come with an 'O' ring oil seal so might get one of them as well.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

Distributor replacement is very easy on a 98 MPV. One 12mm bolt holds it in place. Remove the distributor cap and make carefull note of direction that the rotor is pointing. Remove old distributor and reinistall new with rotor pointing in the same direction. Start up and check timing with a timing light. New distributor does not come with an 'O' ring oil seal so might get one of them as well.
Hello friend:

One mechanic change the distributor on a 98 MPV and then the machine have a failure. The computer mark the code P1345. We can not to repair this problem. Please, ¿Can you help us? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM

Hello mazcar.
Was the distributor new or used that was installed?
P1345 is telling you that the camshaft position sensor signal is not normal. This signal comes from inside the distributor. Do you have a voltmeter that you could use to check some voltages right at the distributor connectors?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

Hello mazcar.
Was the distributor new or used that was installed?
P1345 is telling you that the camshaft position sensor signal is not normal. This signal comes from inside the distributor. Do you have a voltmeter that you could use to check some voltages right at the distributor connectors?
HI babyhuey:

Thanks for you help.
The distributor is new.
The some voltages is right.
The car was not start.
The first mechanic said that the distributor was damaged. He installed a new distributor, but the machine start with any failure.
The second mechanic, in this moment, wants to know how to reinstall this part?´
Is it possible that the machine is out of time??
Thank you so much

Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 PM

Here is as close as I could find on installinga 98 MPV distributor.
Make sure the engine is at TDC compression stroke for #1 cylinder.
Line up the matching marks on the gear end of the distributor shaft.
Hold onto rotor so does not turn on you when lowering into engine.
Once installed make sure that rotor is pointing at the the #1 lug in the distributor cap.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/8879A87AE6AD43D2A90EC44B1BA676FF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2018, 09:04 PM

Hey Guys did you solve this problem? What was the cause? I am having the same problem right now. I have 98 MPV V6 3.0. It would start up and drive but it would cut off while driving the engine would start back up again and I was able to drive it back home. It cut off again before i got it back home. I change the distributor with one from the junk yard a 97 MPV 3.0, I reset the timing and rain a diagnostic code P1345. The van drove for the weekend i drove it to work and it would not start when i was ready to go home. I loosen the distributor and turned it a little and it started. I made it home.I had the timing off I reset distributor again but I cant get the timing light to read 11*BTDC I am reading 6*BTDC , advance and retarding distributor didnt work it shut off engine. It starts right up i am reading a P1345 and i dont want to move it out the garage right now. Iam grateful for any help. I am going to disconnect the battery for a while to see it resets the computer so it can learn the different distributor.