Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

95 elctrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Default 95 elctrical gremlins

Hey, Im new here. I'd like to start off by saying my family loves MPVs and we have had 5. All are 4wd. All of them are very reliable. All still have the origianl trannys and the 89 had a rebiult engine insalled at 170K

89 212k miles-junkyard
90 5-Speed(from the factory!!) Wrecked
95 150K still have
96 80K still have
98 Allsport 120K , My bosses van.

Anyway, The 95 has an electrical issue. Whenever the lights are turned on ( running lights or headlights) The third brake lamp is illuminated along with all of the other lamps. And when the brake pedal is depressed, all of the lights come on except the headlamps( front makerlamps, taillamps, dash lights)

Im thinking it is the multifunction switch on the steering column, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Or does anyone know how to fix it?

Any help woud be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Default RE: 95 elctrical gremlins

I would start out by inspecting each bulb for corrosion/overheating/shorts/ & correct bulb. You may well have a bad switch or short in the wiring as it sounds like its feeding back. Something caused it though so i would begin at the bulbs and chase the harness next.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the quick reply

A few days after it started acting up, I saw that the left front sidemarker bulb was burnt out, so I went to change it, and it was rusted in ( because the lense had a crack in it and water got in). I got a junkyard lense and a new socket and now the new bulb works fine so its not the wiring thats messed up.

What switch could be shorted out?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 AM

The only problem i am having with it being the headlight switch is that the 3rd brake light is not in that circuit so should not be part of the problem. I think you may have 2 problems. It really sounds like it is feeding back. I have looked for a wiring diagram to try to pinpoint it for you but have not come up with one. The cause may have been the rusted connection you found but i am thinking not.A problem like that requires a thorough inspection of the entire circuit.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks. Ill see if I can find some wiring diagrams and I will follow the wires and see if any of them are broken or damaged.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Couldnt find anything wrong with the wiring.

I also couldnt find any wire diagrams

Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM

I think im gonna see if i can get a used switch and see if that fixes the problem.

By the looks of it, it looks like the steering wheel has to be removed. Can someone confirm this or can it be done without removing the wheel?