Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2004 MPV rough idle woes........

Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Default 2004 MPV rough idle woes........

I have a 2004 MPV that is idling very rough, the check engine light is on and flashing. I've done a lot of research on the net regarding this and the majority of the solutions have been replacing the IAC valve or sensor. Before I did that, I had the guy at Auto Zone run a diagnostic on it and it spat out SEVEN different codes. And unfortunately, one of them seems to have been misplaced, but here are the other six:
P0102 - MAF sensor low input signal
P0113 - IAT circuit high input
P0131 - Heated oxygen sensor H02S (RF) circuit low input
P0151 - Heated oxygen sensor - Bank 2 Sensor 1 (H02S21) ciircuit low voltage
P0174 - Lean Air/Fuel ratio bank 2
P0300 - Random cylinder misfire detected

Anyway, most of them referred to the MAF sensor, so I got a can of the CRC MAF sensor cleaner. I took it off and cleaned it.. and figured I would clean the IAC while I was at it. put it all back together and it ran the same.

The IAC looked pretty gunked up so I decided to get a new one. So with the new IAC valve and the cleaned out MAF sensor, the van runs even worse than before. Now it hesitates upon acceleration in addition to the rough idling.

Oh, before I forget to mention, within the first year we had it, we had to have the dealership replace a faulty ignition coil two separate times. The second time they just replaced all six of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks-epi

Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM

I have an answer for the Mazda MPV misfire issue that everyone is complaining about.
My 2004 was misfiring & I was spending the doe like everyone else & it did not fix it so I simply put some Permatex around the lip of the front 3 coil packs & allowed to cure over night, because I couldn't get to the back 3 which are somewhat covered by the intake manifold, to keep moisture out & ran it for several months & have had absolutely no issues period! I want to share this information with the world. Granted, it's not a technical solution but it worked for me. The problem was always worse when it rained but since I've done this I have seriously had zero issues with this vehicle. It may be a miracle!! Since this issue has affected several year models, it may simply be a design flaw in the coil pack moisture seal. Try it! What can it hurt?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Default Rough, jerky idle issues

OK. That seemed to work for a while but once again made a trip to the dealer for an all 6 ignition coil replacement. Well, rolling pretty good for a while since that huge expense was paid. Now, more codes? O2 sensors? Nice. 4 sensors, 4 different part #'s & found 2 different sites contradicting each other on which sensors go where. I purchased the "upstream-pre-cat" sensors as well as an IAC valve. We'll see how this helps with the rough, jerky idle issue I'm having now. Waiting on parts. P.S. Amazon.com seems to be fairly priced.