Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2002 mpv hard styart,rough idle, stall in gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Default 2002 mpv hard styart,rough idle, stall in gear

One day started to idle rough and fast and would stall if put in reverse - but drove OK in drive. Code P0111 came up and I. replaced the MAF. Had to get the MAF witha new housing as the MAF sensor was slightly bigger then the original. This makes me wonder if this is the right MAF.

After replacement even worse. Will only start if you put pedal to the floor and then idles very rough and high. If you hit the gas it will stall. If you rev slowly, it will "Catch" and runs fine at high rpms. If you put in any gear it stalls. Also replaced the throttle sensor to no avail.

The check engine light is no longer on but the "TCS Off" light stays on all the time. OBD codes were cleared when MAF replaced and no new codes are appearing.

Any ideas? As I menitoned I'm a bit concerned about the MAF. I bought one from NAPA and found oput it was slightly bigger then the original and the bolts did not line up. They had the same MAF for years 2001 through 2003 so it does not look like a midyear change. I also tried Autozone and another store and all had the same MAF listed. Carquest ordered one that they said was OEM and it arrive with installed in the plastic housing that connects the airfilter housing to the throttle duct. So this is the bigger MAF but will work with the new housing. Still makes me wonder if this is the right MAF and if this is "talking" correclty with the PCM.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Needs a ECT.