Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2000 mpv / cel / p1518 & p1520

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Default 2000 mpv / cel / p1518 & p1520

My 2000 MPV has these two codes: P1518 / P1520. I know it's the IMRC but where is it and how do I fix it??? Does anyone know how to get a good manual for this vehicle that doesn't cost $250?? This van has had it's problems but with over 115,000 miles it's a trooper. Thanks!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM

I had the same code p1518. there is a link rod under the intake hose on right side, that came out of its place. This caused the imrc valve to stay open causing the P1518.
All I had to do was put the darn thing back in its place, and that fixed it. no more P1518.
Only thing is, it is hard to get at under throttle body etc.. Dealer wanted $250+ labor..

Another thing you can do to find it, follow the cable coming out of the imrc unit that sits in front and top of the engine. Good luck..

Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Default p1518 IMRC fault. NEED HELP!!! IMRC is good. Linkage is intact

I have two Mazda MPV's. A 2000 and a 2001. Identical in every way besides the year as far as I know.

My 2000 ran great until I decided to try to sell it. I took it to the carwash and sprayed the engine to remove the dust from our lane. When I started it up again it had a miss. I pulled the plug wires and let dry overnight and that solved that problem. However, Now it hesitates bad upon acceleration. Fault codes are p1518 and p0031. After reading the other post I immediately checked the IMRC linkage. It and the clip that holds it are fine. BUT as soon as I turn the ignition on the IMRC opens the butterfly on the runners even tho the engine is not running. I have read that it doesn't open until at least 3300rpm's. It does open and shut fully btw. I went to my other MPV and turned the ignition on and it does nothing until around 3500 rpm's. I then removed the IMRC from the faulty vehicle and plugged it into the other MPV. It worked properly. So that eliminates the IMRC.

After all of this I believe that I possibly have water in a sensor or a solenoid that tells the IMRC to open prematurely. I need to know what controls the IMRC and any sensors, solenoids or parts inbetween the IMRC and the brainbox.

Since I have two MPV's I can swap a few parts out until I figure out what is bad and buy a new one. I just don't know what to swap! Lol...

I am not a mechanic so please give some detail and pics if possible!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM

When my van had this problem I used my Alldata subscription to find electrical diagrams and pictures to help understand the problem. Alldata gives a pretty good step by step process to figuring out the problem area. Basically the IMRC actuator is controlled by a ground which comes from the computer located under the glove box. Thinking there was a short in the harness I traced/checked the wires through the intake to the computer and discovered (to my horror) that it in fact it was the computer. Replacing the computer solved my problems and we were fine until the transmission failed...so now I own a Sienna. I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Reno
I have two Mazda a MPV's. A 2000 and a 2001. Identical in every way besides the year as far as I know.

My 2000 ran great until I decided to try to sell it. I took it to the carwash and sprayed the engine to remove the dust from our lane. When I started it up again it had a miss. I pulled the plug wires and let dry overnight and that solved that problem. However, Now it hesitates bad upon acceleration. Fault codes are p1518 and p0031. After reading the other post I immediately checked the IMRC linkage. It and the clip that holds it are fine. BUT as soon as I turn the ignition on the IMRC opens the butterfly on the runners even tho the engine is not running. I have read that it doesn't open until at least 3300rpm's. It does open and shut fully btw. I went to my other MPV and turned the ignition on and it does nothing until around 3500 rpm's. I then removed the IMRC from the faulty vehicle and plugged it into the other MPV. It worked properly. So that eliminates the IMRC.

After all of this I believe that I possibly have water in a sensor or a solenoid that tells the IMRC to open prematurely. I need to know what controls the IMRC and any sensors, solenoids or parts inbetween the IMRC and the brainbox.

Since I have two MPV's I can swap a few parts out until I figure out what is bad and buy a new one. I just don't know what to swap! Lol...

I am not a mechanic so please give some detail and pics if possible!