Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2000 MPV brakes, steering, $$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Default 2000 MPV brakes, steering, $$$

I had my 2000 MPV in the Mazda shop for its 120k visit and got conflicting reports. The front brake pads are down to 20% so I am replacing them. The tech at Midas said that the calipers are both shot and needed to be replaced. I've never replaced them before, and there is a nasty grinding/whining sound sometimes when I step on the brakes, and both shops pointed out that the right pad was worn out more than the left pad. Comments?

Also, the main reason I took the van in is because there was a burning smell when we drove it for any amount of time. Both the transmission fluid and the power steering fluid were black and both dealers recommended a flush and fill. Let's hope that is what was causing the stench. Other ideas, anyone? (All the belts were replaced last summer before our vacation trip.)

Finally, the Mazda dealership strongly recommended that I replace the spark plugs and wires while it was in the shop. Are they looking for extra $$$, or is this a necessary evil that I don't know about? The car is running great other than the brake noise and the smell.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Default RE: 2000 MPV brakes, steering, $$$

Midas always says the calipers are shot and need to be replaced. They often offer a lifetime warranty on brakes but ususally only if you resurface/replace the rotors and replace the calipers. Is not unusual for one side to wear a little bit more then the other one. If you are turning right while braking more often then turning left the right side would wear more as more weight is being distributed to that wheel on a right turn.
A good cleaning and lubricating the caliper slide pins with quality synthetic grease will probably be all that you need with the pads. I often recommend a rotor resurface due the fact that the friction surface can become dished. tapered or otherwise uneven that will not allow full contact of the new, very flat pads.

Rather doubt that discolored fluid is going to create a burning odor. Trans flush was a very good idea if was discolored and a little burnt smelling but that would not create any odors that you should be able to detect outside the vehicle. Most common burnt smell is due to oil leaking onto the exhaust system. When the oil filter is removed it dumps a large amount onto the front pipe and needs to be throughly cleaned or will smell for quite a while. Oil pan gaskets leaking are not that uncommon on MPV either. Is there any oil on the pipe under the oil filter or on bottom of oil pan??

If the plugs and wires have a 120,000 miles on them, would be a very good idea just as a source of preventive maintenance. Mazda recommends replacement every 60,000 even with the platinum plugs. There is no interval given for the wires but keep in mind that 20,000-30,000 volts have been going thru a tiny spiraled wire a little bitbigger then ahair for the last 7 years and 120,000 miles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/EC8B2474E80F4027B29C4204C1F1F8E2.jpg[/IMG]
Here is a pic of the oil filter (barely see the white in middle of pic) and how much oil drops onto the exhaust after an oil change. This one was also leaking as you can see all over the bottomofthe oil pan because the filter was not installed snug enough at last oil change.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 AM

Thanks for your advice. I hope others will learn from my post. I had to make a quick decision and gave them the okay for new calipers. Now I am a little smarter, but it cost me an extra $300+. What about flushing the power steering fluid? I didn't give them an approval for that service yet.

I have a leaky oil filter area. Nice catch.

Will changing my plugs and wires increase my gas mileage? It has dropped below 20 mpg since our vacation last summer. Anything else to keep an eye on?

Old 02-14-2007, 04:57 AM

Most do when put under the pressure of "it is your brakes and the most important safety component of your vehicle and by the way do your children and wife ride in the vehicle as well". It is a guy thing abredy and we all usually do.
Flush of the power steering fluid isa waste. What are they charging for that one? Of all of the power steering flush systems I have seen out in the market you could do the same by purchasing a turkey baster and drawing out the existing fluid in resevoir and refill with some nice new ATF. Start and run engine for 10 seconds, shut off engine and repeat a couple of times and you will have done the equal of the "flush".
Increase gas mileage by changing the plugs. Very likely. Wires. probably not. Anything else to keep an eye on. With the mileage you have, not really. Some issues with that year MPV but if you have not run accross them already you are not likely to.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 AM

Many thanks! Have a good rest of the week.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Default RE: 2000 MPV brakes, steering, $$$ - PLUGS

Any trick to replacing the plugs - I noted a comment above about removing the manifold? Haven't taken an indepth look and don't have a manual but do you really have to do that?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:43 PM

No need to pull the manifold to replace the spark plugs.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:59 PM

tomcat724 could you please explaine how to replace spark plugs without pulling munifold out?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:04 PM

I have just read this https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_61446/tm.htm
and he pulled out the manifold.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 PM

I did my plugs on my 2000MPV in less than an hour. No need to remove manifold. Just need a long extension and a swivel SP Socket. I did remove the power pack on the front to get to one of the plugs. For the rear all I did is pull the wires out as I disconected them or else they get in the way. Was very easy.

Quick Reply: 2000 MPV brakes, steering, $$$