Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

timing belt labor

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Default timing belt labor

Hi,
Can some1 tell me how much it costs to change the timing belt on millenia 2002S engine. It has 104k miles on and belt ( according to manual) needs to be replaced around 120K. The guy who changed the oil also told me that the external belts ( alternator and the second one..dont know the name) have started to show some cracks. So I wanted to know how much would it cost if I change the timing belts , water pump and two external belts. Due to the complexity of the S engine, is dealer the only choice for me?
Thanks.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Default RE: timing belt labor

Hi again somali. Sounds like you are definitely due for belt replacement. Pulled you up some labor times from Mitchell which is a very commonly used labor estimator. Prices and part numbers are for over the counter OEM parts. Can get a pretty good discount from
www.onlinemazdaparts.com. Just enter the part number provided into the box labeled #2 Search by Factory Part Number. Is much quicker to locate. Aftermarket will of course be less expensive but quality can be just as good. Would definitely go with aftermarket drive belts at least.

The labor time for timing belt only is 4.9 hours on the Millenia S.
Labor for replacing the water pump will probably add .5 hours.
Labor for replacing the front cam and crank oil seal also .5 hours
Altogether look at close to 6 hours of labor mulitplied by the labor rate at the shop where you will take the car. At $100 per hour then labor would come out to $600.

Timing belt : KJ01-12-205 = $103.55
Water pump : KJ01-15-010H = $94.20
Front camshaft oil seal : BP01-10-602A = $6.75 each
Front crankshaft oil seal : FS02-10-602 = $8.10
Alternator belt : KJ02-18-381B9U = $92.70
Power steering belt : KJ02-15-9079U = $109.85

Optional parts if needed are following

T-belt idler bearing : KJ01-12-740 = $154.80
Tensioner bearing : KJ01-12-750 = $165.80
Hydraulic tensioner : KJ01-12-770A = $155.55

Definitely go with first 4 of needed list. The alternator and water pump belts can be purchased aftermarket for about $26 each from Schucks at this link and are good belts. Mazda price is ridiculous.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...entine%20Belts
The bearings and tensioner will only really be needed if the bearings are worn and dry or tension is collapsed. Can only determine that once you are in there and have parts off in hand for inspection.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:08 PM

Thanks babyhuey. Like always, your help is great! I have one quick question. Mazda dealer wont allow me to buy parts ( I have heard that due to the miller cycle engine complexity its better to have dealer replace belts). Do you know any place on top of your mind that could give me the luxury of buying parts from the interent and install them ?
Thanks.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 PM

do you mean that you are taking the car to the dealer, and they will not let you bring your own parts? i cannot believe the dealer will not let you buy the parts, except if they are doing the work. many dealers bump suggested list price on customer pay jobs. mazda of north america has a SUGGEST list price, but dealers are not bound to follow it. if you find one that will go by the book list, you are lucky. here is where i get all my genuine mazda parts, they have the best prices on the internet:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214284

you might try to get the dealer to give you the same discount, but dont hold your breath. the timing belt is a fairly straighforward job, it just takes time, partly because of the lack of clearance. even tho you want to save money, the dealer needs to make money. try looking for a local independent, but be aware that there are a lot of bogus shops out there. once in a while, a dealer tech will go out and open his own business, check around, maybe there is an independent with an ex dealer tech there. but be aware that lots of them dont like you to bring your own parts either. unless you can do the job yourself, you will probably have to let them get the parts, and make money on them. it's not like shops have turn away business now, rather, it is the opposite. dealers are sending techs home early because there is no work. same with independents. customer pay jobs are not common at the dealers, almost all of it is warranty, or scheduled maintenance, which is included in the sale price of the car. dealers dont make much money on warranty.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 AM

Sorry about the confusion. What i meant was that I buy parts and give them to dealer and dealer install those parts on my car which is not the case now as you said they make money on the parts. Thanks for the info

Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Not entirely necessary to take to a dealer to have the timing belt replaced. It is a lenghy job but one that any good competent technician should be able to perform. Believe me when I say that I have run across some mechs at a dealership that I would not let change my oil or rotate my tires but have also met some at independent that are extremely knowledgeable and very good at what they do. Many places will probably do the job with parts purchased by you especially if they are OE. They are still making a good profit on the labor. Might try to get a few references to some good import shops to find a good, reliable mechanic either at the dealer or an independent. The right technician is the absolute key to getting good honest work done on the car.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:29 AM

Thanks a lot babyhuey and kennin for the information . I will try to find a good mechanic.