Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Thinking of buying a 99 Millenia...Good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Default Thinking of buying a 99 Millenia...Good choice?

Its the non supercharged engine, 127,000km for $5000 all the options

Is this a good reliable car?

What types of problems does this model year have?

Old 10-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Default RE: Thinking of buying a 99 Millenia...Good choice?

Yes they are good cars, very nice cars as well. The non-supercharged model is a 2.5L V6, as far as the problems they have it all comes down how well the previous owner took care of the car.
These millenias dont have specific problems, the problems will be no different than than the problems on toyota, or honda. I have had problems with my 2001 2.5L but they are basic problems. If you were to go onto any other forums you will be viewing people posting the same if not more problems than this forum. Another thing is I dont know if your car is the same but on my 2.5 i have to put 93 octane (supreme) gas in mine or else it would start running crapy and i would start throwing codes (knock sensor), thats probably the only downside but the way gas prices are looking right now i am not complaning. The gas mileage is decnet for me as long as i put the better gas, i would get somewhere around 22 24 city and about 28 highway thats good for me, i dont do a lot of driving. anyways thats my opinion on your question. let me know what you do

Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Absolutely, I have a 98 2.5 Millenia, and as Tbird said you'll find the common problems that come with a used car. My Milli is a gas hog when I used regular fuel and my CEL would stay on for the Knock Sensor. Now that the price for fuel is coming down, I've been able to use the higher octane fuel (93) and the CEL turned off and the car is running much better. As of today I have had no major issues with this car just allot of fun driving around. The 99 is the same as the 98 except for the chrome on the truck lid and the chrome in the interior vents, shifter and the Mazda jewel emblem on the wheel and I believe the stereo is also upgraded. If this is a private sale, look at who was driving it and the maintance records that it received. If it was a younger kid it may have been ragged on. The Millenia is a tough car, but the wear and tear can take its toll. Some TLC will always keep any car on the road. The price sounds great, hope you buy the car and come back and show some pics. Good Luck!!

Old 11-03-2006, 12:38 AM

Don't waste your money. I bought two together at an auction 7 months ago and they are both junk!
One is 2001 Mel 2.3L Super Charged Miller Cycle and the other is a 1999 2.5L.
The 02's tranny went out like I expected within about two weeks. Problems with the Super Charger, problems with the
interior falling apart, problems with the window motor on the drivers side.
On the 99 the tranny is starting to slip, slow acceleration, just fixed a major wiring problem, interior falling apart.
By far the worst cars I've ever owned. I work at a salvage yard and get so many calls for the same crap for these cars.
Transmissions being #1 on the list.
Don't waste your money. Sure they look good. But they arent bank account friendly or very easy to repair.
Call a salvage yard and ask about what they think about them... They will tell you where they belong.
Buy an Accord or Camry.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:42 PM

we have 2 99's. both are 2.3. one we got new, the other used. both have about 87k on them. i have replaced a lot of parts, but i dont mind, i like to work on cars. when i got the second one, i looked around, and got a nice white one that had been fanatically maintained. i service the fluids in the transmission, brakes, and cooling system yearly. engine gets oil changes about every 5k, with synthetic. both cars use no oil between changes. i recently had to remove the intake system to get to a vacuum tee, and the rotors in the supercharger are still nice and dry. i have had to change out axles on both cars, seat heaters, exh manifold, spark plugs, coils, to name a few. nothing was very difficult to change. like any car, if it has been maintained well, it can give good service. the fit and finish on the millenia is excellent. i have been selling parts for bmw, mercedes, porsche, audi, and several other cars for 20+ years. i think the fit and finish on the mazda is just as good. it has excellent brakes, killer a/c, and excellent handling. not many cars even today have multi link suspension on all 4 corners. abs is standard, excellent leather seats. transmissions perform flawlessly. the car could be quieter, and i would like to have had fold down rear seats. also, the circulating center vents that the 626 has should also be on the millenia. i would think any car bought at an auction would be junk.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM

I own a 99 Mazda Millenia and bought it new. I have had no major problems...currently 116,000 miles. In 8 yrs. I have to replace an alternator, fan belt, egr valve. I change my oil every 90 days and it still continues to run great. I really enjoy this car!!! Very dependable. I hate to sell but I need an SUV for family reasons. Everything works on the car and blows cold ac. My left turn signal just quit working and don't know why...I changed the bulbs and checked the fuses.Other than that the car runs great. If you have bought one yet let me know and I may consider selling.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Tbird
... Another thing is I dont know if your car is the same but on my 2.5 i have to put 93 octane (supreme) gas in mine or else it would start running crapy and i would start throwing codes (knock sensor), thats probably the only downside...
Do you have to run 93 octane in the non-SC engine.I though the only reason you ran high octain in these cars was because of the boost from the SC and cutting down on KR.I wouldn't think you would have to run 93 in the non-SC engine. Unless they havea lot of extra timing.