Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

So I'm looking for a Millenia...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Default So I'm looking for a Millenia...

I like the car. It would be for my wife as her "luxury" ride without buying such a big luxury car that I get clobbered at the gas pumps. I've read enough to know I don't want a 2.3 supercharged engine, but....

Should I be looking for a Millenia or a 6? She wants heated leather seats. Does the 6 have them? I don't know much about thes cars. I'm a 323GT guy myself.

If I were to be looking for a Millenia (because they do have lots of bells and whistles that my wife would probably like) what should I be weary of?

Your opinion matters!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Default RE: So I'm looking for a Millenia...

[img=http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8541/034235111el7.th.jpg]

I'm thinking about this one. It's a 2002. Doesn't have the heated leather seats which I really want, but the car is in such good shape, I think, that I might go for it. What should I be worrying about? Any advice on what I should look for so that I don't get a lemon? What are some of the common problems with this model (if any)?
Thanks.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM

I just got mine a month ago, it's a nonsuperchager, with 110,000 miles on it for $3900.00 after i talk him down, i actually show him what need to be done to it. mint leather int w/heated seats body is mint, new tires, i put it up on the lift everything is nice and tight, but both valve covers leaking really bad,$82.00 for the gasket set and 3 1/2 hrs of labor myself,2 code for the O2 sensors,cost me $120 for the universial ones but i have to do the wires myself for 1/2 hr, andfound out the warm-up Cats are no good, they're very expensive from the dealer and looks like not much fun to do them but at least i have airtools and access to a lift. i'll take care of them maybe next month.a little hesitation sometimes, cost me $150 for sparkplug wires, cap and rotor, that fix. it runs beautiful now, minus the check engine light from the bad CATS.
So if you're going to get one make sure that no check engine light on, check for leaks, where the leak coming from, like waterpump, tranny front seal, rear main seal on the motor drive it and feel how it shift, tranny not cheap for this car, hear unusual noise, knock from the motor, make sure you're not buying the one from a young kid, and it's been abused, if you're not a mechanic, pay and have an auto repair shop look at it for you, normally they don't charge that much just to look at it, they'll always find something wrong w/it, i mean it a used car you know, and then you can negotiate the price, like if he's going to fix it or if you pay some one to do it partsand labor.
My case, i did all the work myself, and the only thing left are the pre Catalytic converters, but i'm very sure that i'll keep it for the wife, she loves it, it looks and feel like it worth alot more, i like it better than my 02 V6 Honda accord
good luck on buying your next car

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM

we have 2 99's, both are identical 2.3's(except color). one we got new, the other used, about 4 years ago. if you are able to do some mechanical work, the 2.3 is a better car. recently, one owner did dyno tests on a 2.5(121hp) and a 2.3(193hp). the 2.5 is rated 170hp, vs the 2.3 at 210. also, the 2.3 puts out max tq(210 ft/lbs) at 3400 rpm. the tq curve is VERY flat, and at 2000 rpm, it is putting out more tq then the 2.5 does at max. the 2.5 dont get to max tq until about 5500. by then, the 2.3 is LONG gone. both cars get about the same fuel economy. the 2.3 needs 91 octane, but we have been running on 89 for quite a while with no adverse effects. we get about 22 mpg combined. so far, i have changed out axles on both, seat heaters(the replacement heater seems to outlast the original ones), i am changing a radiator tomorrow, couple of links, ball joints, sway bar links, a coolant resevoir, acc belts, and the famous vacuum tees. couple of pre cats, too. all the coils on one car(that was big bucks, but i have several ebay spares now), one tensioner. both motors are non interference. i also upgraded both head units to the later one with the 6cd indash changer. supposedly the 01 my and later have a 30% stiffer chassis, and the 01 my 2.3 has a rear sway bar, the earlier ones do not.
imho, if you can do some of the work yourself, the 2.3 is a way better car because of the motor. i flush brakes/coolant/transmission fluids yearly, as i have always done to all of my cars, and i try to follow recommended service levels. like plugs/fuel filter at 60k. btw, we also had an 88 323gtx and an 88 323gt, which were great cars, but pale in comparison with my all time favorite, my 91 mitsubishi galant vr4(evo3 turbo, evo2 o2 hsng, rre 3" downpipe, certified exh, fidanza flywheel, clutchmasters, denso 660's, hks vpc/gcc, hks 264 cams, keydiver chip w/NLTS, rre/griffin pipes/FMIC, greddy profec, spoolinup afpr, recaros, water injection, noltec full bushing set, whiteline sway/strut bars, koni shocks, koyo evo aluminum radiator, 18 lbs boost, 338hp/343tq at the wheels).