Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Default Help Please

Does anyone know a secret to getting the generator drive belt back onto the lysholm compressor? I have been trying for hour and i am getting no where.I have put a box end wrench (17mm) on the pulley below and in back of the compressor pulley but cant seem to get slack enough. Will a socket with elbow work? Is it best from underneath? I have been working from the top and moving pulley about 1/4 turn clockwise. Thank in advance

Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Default RE: Help Please

what's a generator belt looks like ? and lyshom compressor ? if you meant the alternator belt then you just have to loosen the 17mm head bolton the tensioner pulley and then back the 10mm adjustment bolt on the bottom,the one that goes through the bracket of the tensioner pulley

Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 PM

I am trying to put the belt back on the S/C pulley. I have turned the bolt on the pulley just below ond behing S/C pulley. Is there another tensioner besides the one just below and behind?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM

dont pay attention to the piggyguy, he probably has never SEEN a 2.3. having done this several times, i never try to loop the belt over the compressor. first off, you need to compress the tensioner fully clockwise. i pull the motor mount to get clearance, it only takes about 10 more minutes. i also have a special tool to compress the tensioner, it has a really long bar for leverage. however, the last time i did it, i was able to compress it with just a box end wrench. you can loop the belt over the compressor, and leave the tensioner as the last pulley to get the belt over. there is just enough clearance. i have never been able to get the belt over the compressor pulley last, it is just too big. the tensioner pulley is the smallest, and since it is smooth, the belt goes right on. you will also have to pull the lower splash shield, and support the motor, i use another jack and a block of wood to spread the load. for the alternator belt, i pull the upper radiator hose to get clearance. with the motor mount out of the way, you will be surprised at how much easier it is.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 AM

my bad[&o]

Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM

i will give it a try . One last question, the auto tensioner does not lock open? You have to keep pressure on the pulley to have slack in the belt? Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: akmikek

i will give it a try . One last question, the auto tensioner does not lock open? You have to keep pressure on the pulley to have slack in the belt? Thanks again.
correct. you gotta keep it clockwise manually till the belt is on. then, you release it, and it tightens the belt. there are marks to make sure the tensioner is doing it's job. be prepared to get a new motor mount, too. when you remove it, you will see it is fubar. best price i have found is tasca mazda, 152 bucks. dont get the buttco ebay one, it is wrong.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the help. After 3+ hours of trying i finally got the belt on. I had to take off the bottom splash shield and put a box end wrench held by a pipe and 25 lb dumbell( i was all alone) then i had to pry the belt on. It is a little scuffed but at least its on. Now the rest of the engine needs to go back on.(I am in the process of replacing the supercharger and i am way out of my league).Wish me luck.