Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

General Millenia Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Default General Millenia Q's

Hello, I'm a teenager looking for a first car and the Millenia looks appealing. I've found a few ~1995s for around $3k w/ 110,000mi. Would this be a good price? Is this too many miles? The 'imports' are suppose to be reliable, arent they? I obviously wouldnt be doing that much driving, but would like to get some miles out of this. I know it obviously depends on maintenance, but on average will I have a while left in this car? I'm also wondering if they come with folding rearseats? What about gas, too? Arent you suppose to use premium in superchargers(if i get S)? Thanks

Old 04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Default RE: General Millenia Q's

Please dont think me a Millenia hater, but since you are looking for a reliable first car, I would recommend against the Millenia and especially the Millenia S. Here are some reasons.

Negatives:
-------------------------------------
Millenia S requires premium
Higher car insurance than any other car I've owned (This is just me though, I am sure it wont be like that for everyone)
Gas mileage is on average worse than other cars in its class that are equipped with a 4 CYL (I know its not apples and oranges)
Replacement parts are more expensive than other cars in its class
Repairs on the S require more time and knowledge than other cars in its class (Im MY experience with my 96 Millenia S)
Rear seats do not fold down
Self maintenance takes a little more than just "basic" knowledge
The car will NEVER be a tuner or racer type of car, do not get one thinking you can keep up with high performance tuned cars
The "affordable" Millenia's for a teenager are getting higher and higher in miles and earlier in year, it will be tough to find a late model low mileage one for cheap

Positives:
-------------------------------------
Millenia's have GREAT lines, nothing else comes close to looking as sleek down the road
Quality of materials is much high than anything else in its class for the interior cabin
Very quiet on the road
Luxury car at a rock bottom price
Handling is spirited for a car its size

Bottom line is, in MY opinion after having a Millenia S for about 2 years, they are not worth the headache unless you are ready for making some repairs and dumping some cash into your car. It really is a very nice car, that is quite quick and fun to drive. I miss it all the time, but I have more fun in my 5SP Infiniti G20. Stick with a 4 banger that is realiable and will get you from point a to point b if money is an issue. If money isnt an issue, then go for it I say!

For the same amount of cash or a little more you can get a very nice Accord, Civic, G20, Sentra, Maxima, Altima, 323, 626, MX3, MX6, Legend, Integra, Contour, Impreza, Galant, etc, that will server you well for many years and will not punch a hole in your pocket each and every time it needs work done.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:33 PM

Yeah, I think I may eventually go with something else that's a little more common. I liked the low-priced luxury part of this, though. I've been looking at the Dodge Intrepid's, which seems to be a nice car with a nice engine & mileage. thanks, anyways.

oh yeah, i've looked at some of the other imports, but many are early 90's w/higher mileages in my price range.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:54 PM

Man, I hate starting over on a forum

OK, first of all most newer cars except suv's take prem, if you do the math, its only a 2-5 dollar difference PER MONTH, and if your in highschool even less.

higher insurance, not at all, as a teen you will pay out the *** period, that is of no concern

replacement parts are not more expensive the nany entry level luxury car, except for the S/C which most cars don't have, HOWEVER, they almost never go bad

go to the dealer for repairs, I bought my 2000 S brand new, 6 years of dealer service and never a single problem

millenia's should never be used as tuner cars, PERIOD

meh, I guess

Millenia's are by far 1 of the best cars on the planet, nothing like it anywhere in the world, people don't give it enough credit, it was suppose to the be the amarti 500 for mazda's luxury line, this is why in Oz its known as the eunos 800 and sells for 70,000 dollars new, in europe its the xedos 9, same price, the U.S just got the shaft

Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 AM

I have a millenia 2.5 liter v6 and i would take hadriens advice, they are very nice looking cars and they ride really good, but it is also a ford product and the trannys on these cars suck. your thinking why i bought one then, well i saw the car at a dealer ship and i thought it was really nice and it was at a good price, 2001 millenia with only 54 000k , for 6500, so i thought it was a good buy which it was my car runs great but gas milage suck and expensive to keep up. if i can go back in time i would not have bought it if i new the things i know now!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:50 PM

That is only because you have the 2.5L engine, which has some shared parts with Ford[:'(], if you has bought the 2.3L S(supercharged) you would have gotten the real deal with no Ford crap, and a better transmission. I get 30 mpg on the highway when not speeding. So the mileage is actually not bad, maybe 21-23 in the city depending on how many stop and goes I have, if the A/C is on, etc. I love my milly, have had to replace the S/C because the previous loser owner only changed the oil every 15,000kms. But aside from that has been maintenance free other oil changes, and tires. I have put 80,000kms on it in the 16 months.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:47 PM

I have to agree with TBird. The Millenia S is NOT a Ford! Ford may own Mazda and they may share some parts, but the Millenia was built in a Mazda factory in Japan. The 2.5L is a Ford engine, but the 2.3L is a Mazda-only engine. The Millenia is a bit more expensive to own and operate, but it is a very nice car. It does require 93 octane gas, it requires tires that are more expensive than most. However, it rides and handles much better than a 626, Accord, or Camry. I would not recommend for an average high school student. But, my 01 Millenia S has been a very trouble-free car and is very reliable. I purchased my Millenia used. It had General tires on it. They were terrible tires. I put Bridgestone Turanza-Vs on it. With the Generals I would get about 18-19 MPG in town. With the Bridgestones I get 20-22 and they ride and drive much better. Tires do make a difference! I just wish you could get a Millenia with a manual transmission. Also, I have to agree - why would you want to make this car a tuner-car?!?!? Get a Mazda3 or a Protege if you want to tune a Mazda!