Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Engine Shut off while driving, hold flashing and temp gauge pegged Hot

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Default Engine Shut off while driving, hold flashing and temp gauge pegged Hot

Last Night my 2001 Milli S engine quit while driving on the Hwy, stranding me. the engine was not hot but the eng temp was/is pegged HOT, beyond where it usually can go up to, even goes to Max now that the car is cold.
Hold light is also flashing.
I checked to see if timing belt broke, it is OK, got compression on the cylinders I checked,
But No spark on the plug I pulled.
It was running Great just before. I still have 1/4 tank of gas.
I tried to read the codes but my code reader just comes back with "error" it always worked before
any help appreciated, hard to get to work & home.
I'm hoping it is something simple that just went out. It was running 100 %>
Where do I start?!?

Last edited by scarys; 04-05-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Default update, No Spark at Plugs

I am not getting any spark at plugs, anyone know what to check next?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM

is there coolant in the system?
no spark, i would first check the crank sensor. the wire for it is attached to the oil dipstick tube. i believe there is a value in ohms, but i dont know it. check fsm. another thing it could be is the ignitor, but i dont know what the test procedure is for that. i think the ecu has an overtemp in it, and if the gauge is showing really hot, it might shut down the engine. try disconnecting the battery, touch the 2 cables together to discharge capacitors, reconnect, and see if it starts. you need to pull codes asap.
overheat could be a leak, thermostat, or something really bad. you gotta find out why it is in overheat mode

Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM

coolant is full,
I forgot my multi meter at work,
so I'll do some research on my online manual, alldata.com & hopefully find something out this weekend.
Luckily work loaned me a Explorer, I just have to fix a misfire on cylinder 4 & now have a good code reader to try on my Milli s . Nothing is Free anymore.
Thanks, You the Man!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM

I tried to read the codes last night and even my good reader can't pull them, it comes up with and error, I'm starting to think it's the computer, or PCM.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Default OBDll

I would make sure everything is plugged in good.Maybe it is the ECM but would hate to buy one and it not be it.I've never had my code reader not be able to connect.Check the acual connector part of the car where the OBDll connects to.maybe a wire came loose.Maybe wiggle it a little while your connecting it and see if anything happens

www.milleniatech.net

check this site out