Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Engine Miss Getting On My Last Nerve

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Default Engine Miss Getting On My Last Nerve

I've got a 97 Millenia (2.5L w/~106k miles). Other than routine maintenance, no problems.
Several weeks ago after I stopped to fill up, for several miles/minutes I kept smelling gas. Like I'd gotten some on my hands or clothing while filling up. Except I hadn't. Eventually, I got on the highway and the smell went away. After a few miles on the highway, I got off at my usual exit and upon coming to a stop at the ramp, the car would just barely idle. It was so rough I figured it was going to die any second.
Now I'll just cut to the chase...
The gas smell is gone, but the car refuses to idle right. It drives fine at speed, but accelleration and idle at stop is awful.
The only code I can get is the CEL flashing "General Misfire".
I've used fuel cleaner and water dissolver, replaced plugs, wires, dist. cap/rotor, vacuum canister under the intake riser (it had a superglued fitting anyway and needed to be replaced). I've checked compression on all cylinders, replaced two vacuum hoses, fuel filter and if I could remember the rest I'll die a happy man.
Still no joy. It starts. It runs. But I won't take it out of the driveway.

So... any ideas? I'm figuring it's the ECU, but I don't want to start taking the dash/console apart unless I have to. That much work never hurt anybody, but why take the chance? [:'(]

Old 11-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Default RE: Engine Miss Getting On My Last Nerve

we dont have the 2.5. however, put a vacuum gauge on it, and see if you have an air leak. also, the ign distributor is another possible problem area. i really doubt it is the ecu.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Default RE: Engine Miss Getting On My Last Nerve

Another question... any chance it might be the ISC (Idle Speed Control) valve? Just thought of that.