Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Climate control display

Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Default Climate control display

Hi!
Does anybody know what could be causing the climate control display to fail to turn on? When that happens none of the buttons are operational so I can't turn on the heat or AC or even the fan. But sometimes it works. This problem happens when starting the car so if it turns on it stays on until the ignition is turned off. It does not stop working during driving. The car is a 95. Thanx.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Default RE: Climate control display

When this problem occurs does anything else not operate, in particular the wipers and power windows? Check and see if there are other things that do not work as well.
Another thing you might want to try when the problem occurs is to try rocking the ignition key backwards and then forwards to see if things start operating normally. The display, heater controls, wipers, and power windows all draw power thru the IGN2 circuit of the ignition switch and a faulty or failinig contact within the switch could cause the problems you describe.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. The power windows and wipers work ok. I tried rocking the key but it did not help. One interesting thing is that when the key is in the Acc I position (the first one after shut off) pushing a window open button on the drivers side (didn't check ones on the other doors) causes the fan to start blowing. It works for the passenger and rear windows buttons but not for the driver window one. The fan can not be controlled but it shuts off if the key is turned to the next position. As for other things... Cruise control seems to have a problem. Pressing the Cruise Main button turns its light on but the steering wheel controls do nothing. Is there a minimum speed below which it wouldn't work? I just took it on a test drive around the block so I didn't get a chance to get above 30 MPH.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:48 PM

Run that by one more time. You said that the heater fan will turn on if the drivers power window switch is operated? Are there any other abnormal things that you have come across. Sounds like you have a shorted wiring harness. There is a minimum speed for the cruise to operate as well. Think it is around 27mph.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:23 PM

The cruise control is ok. Tested on a highway. And yes with the key in ACC position pushing the button to open a window (other than the driver's one) causes the blowers to run. The windows do not open though. The window buttons operate normally when the key is any other position. No other abnormal things observed.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:47 PM

Have you considered an exorcism??[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Sounds like you have a short in a wire harness or grounding issue but try this to see if we can isolate some things down. With the key at ACC and window switches making the blower come on magically, remove and reinstall each of the following fuses one at a time and see which one makes it quit doing that. 10A RADIO : 15A METER : 10A A/C : 15A BLOWER
All four of these are located in the underdash fuse box. Am wagering on the RADIO but we will see.

One other thing, Is the fan coming on even with switch in 'off' position

Old 04-24-2006, 08:06 PM

I have a 2001 2.5L V6 millenia, my comment is on the question on the climate control display, the problem could be something as small as your fuses being bad. You might want to go to the fuse box under the steering wheel on the left side and check the fuses, That happened to me but i blew my fuses when i was puting a new radio and speaker in the trunk and the A/C buttons did not work nor my speedometer did not work either. I changed my fuses and it turned on worked just fine. I dont know if you fixed the problem yet cause you posted it a while back but if not give this a try, im pretty sure thats what it is. let me know

Old 05-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Hi!
I would like to thank everybody who took their time to reply. Also I am sorry that I can't do any more testing... because it is working! Here is what happened: recently I met a friend of mine (I didn't see him in a long time). We talked about different things and then I mentioned my problem. I totaly forgot he's into electronics. He offered to take a look at the unit. After removing it from the car he took it with him and a few days later we installed it. To my amazement the thing worked! Everything is back to normal. Turned out there were some cold/bad solder joints. After he corrected them the problem went away. He said that from my description he thought that would be the case. He was right. So if anybody has a similar problem I would suggest correcting the solder joints first (of course after checking the fuses) before doing anything else. I know it saved me a possibly expensive trip to a shop. Thank you.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Hi Kingkleks,

I have similar problem in my Xedos 9 (this is the name of the Millenia in Europe)as You had in Your Millenia. My climate control display is blinking sometimes instead of the correct functionality. Could You please clarify, that what Your friend did was to refresh the signed joints in the attached picture with a soldering-iron?

Anyway, does Your display operating well from this repairing?

Thank You in advance for the answer,

Br, ogyp from Hungary

[IMG]local://upfiles/18598/D5451F946F144100AB7C5505567E3EC0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18598/8AE98FC88A634D26B10D0E4FA11421B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Hi!
I am sorry but I will be unable to tell you which solder joints he went over. I just gave the part to him and he did what he did and now he doesn't remember which ones were that. However I think babyhuey was on the right track to suggest that it might also have something to do with the ignition switch. I wish I would be able to run the tests he asked for but since it is working ok I can't. It is possible that the problem will come back; then I will check what he asked for. It is possible that, for this problem, the solution would be to get a new ignition switch. Run those tests and see if somebody can give more info about that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Climate control display