Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

CEL- 6 diff codes... help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Question CEL- 6 diff codes... help

i just bought this 01 millenia 2.3 type S n put a new motor in it.. now i have 6 diff codes... p0170- fuel trim malfunction; p0301 cyl 1 misfire; p0705 trans range sensor; p1524 idle speed control..??; p1743 & p1790 manufacturuer control trans.

can anybody help? bad wiring? bad sensors? any ideas where to freakin start?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:03 PM

was this a new or used motor? if used, from what year?

you should start with the lower number codes. 0170 fuel trim is always a vacuum leak. however, it is always with 0173. since it is only 1 side, you should check if there is a leak only on that side. i think the 0301 cyl missfire is not related, you should have changed all the plugs(and put in the correct ones) before installing the engine. if you first solve your vacuum problem, some of the trans codes may go away. the next step would be to start checking connections. and what happened to the first motor?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
the motor was also from an 01.. supposedly, thats what i was told.. it was used with 80k on it. got it for 1300 with 3 mon warranty. n the dumba$$es that put this motor in didnt even replace the spark plugs. i am having that done today. correct ones? i have platinum ngk... good enough? thats what i was told to use. i'm a chic tryin to fix this..so bear with me hopefully new plugs helps, which i'm sure will solve the stuttering. the lady that had it before blew the motor, didnt put oil in it. the tranny has also been overhauled about 2 years ago, and the car did sit for 1.5 years before i got it. pd $800 for the car!!! craziness... i will have the vacuum lines checked and see what happens next...

Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM

i am looking in my 99 fsm, and it says 1743 is torque converter clutch solenoid valve. this may have been already there. i am leery of transmission rebuilds, unless done by a very reputable place. 1790 it throttle position sensor open or short. where/who is scanning the codes? and are you doing the work, or are you paying someone?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM

i am paying someone to do the work and they are giving me the run around about addressing the codes. sayin i need to go to mazda.. 1743- its an automatic does that matter in reference to torque converter clutch solenoid valve???? now my air bag light is flashing, and i forgot to mention the car doesn't even shift into over drive. the hold light is flashing in the dash, adn it always shows teh car is in drive in the dash as well........... ?????? too many problems. one after another. i went to my friends and we read the codes together as they were shown.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM

only automatic transmissions have torque converters. this problem could have been there before the engine blew. the converter solenoid would certainly stop it from "locking up", or going into overdrive. this solenoid is in the valve body of the transmission, and i bet it was there before the engine blew. you need to really think about this one. i have always said that if you cannot do a lot of the repair work on this car, get rid of it. we have 2 99's, one we bought brand new. i have kept both up for 10 years, and when the car is running right, it is a very nice ride. but over the years, i have read hundreds of posts just like yours. the problem is complicated. first, very few, if any, shops have any experience with this car. then, most owners take the car to the cheapest or the most convenient shop. so you end up paying them to learn how to repair this car. and they(including the dealer) dont have the ***** to admit they are in over their head. the excuse to take the car to the dealer is a prime example of limited expertise in cars in general. this kind of a shop should be limited to simple jobs like an oil change. beyond that, they should decline to work on the car. i really think you need to get out before this car eats more money. the fact that you got it so cheap makes me think there were other problems besides a blown motor.

Last edited by keninn; 04-20-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM

yea... i'm thinking i totally agree with you. thanks for the advice. it really sucks i'm in a "crappy" situation here

Old 04-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Unhappy CODES ON MY 2000 Mazda

Can anyone help me out.... I have a 2000 Mazda Millenia S also and it is running like s--t. It runs hot every once in a while and when I'm on the highway driving aprx. 65 miles per hour is missing almost like gas isn't getting to the right place. I had radiator changed last week because they found a leak but it's still running hot, the only thing that has stopped since I changed the radiator is I'm no longer losing water. I went to a local shop and they ran the codes and what showed up is PO115, PO431, P1790...the guy told me he doesn't work on this car so I'm stuck... don't know what to do. Any idea what the codes mean?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by lakynnb02
Can anyone help me out.... I have a 2000 Mazda Millenia S also and it is running like s--t. It runs hot every once in a while and when I'm on the highway driving aprx. 65 miles per hour is missing almost like gas isn't getting to the right place. I had radiator changed last week because they found a leak but it's still running hot, the only thing that has stopped since I changed the radiator is I'm no longer losing water. I went to a local shop and they ran the codes and what showed up is PO115, PO431, P1790...the guy told me he doesn't work on this car so I'm stuck... don't know what to do. Any idea what the codes mean?
wow. an honest shop

Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM

yea.. be glad your shop was honest...
my car was missing like crazy.. we replaced the coils and spark plugs, and it made a world of a difference.. runs sooo much better. try that first. cheap fix... my next problem to address.. torque convertor solenoid..

Quick Reply: CEL- 6 diff codes... help