Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Bose stereo code

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Default Bose stereo code

Sorry if this has been answered already. I was looking to replace my current Bose stereo (I have a 96 Millenia S) with another one (same model) due to the fact that the lcd screen on mine had taken some damage before I ever had it. I have found some sold on the web but they do not come with the code to unlock it. Any idea what information I would need to get that code and if my local dealership would even have that information? Or perhaps there is a univeral dealer code or something of the like? I take it knowing my own code would be of no assistance. Thank you again in advance.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Default RE: Bose stereo code

we have 2 99's, and no code is needed. i have switched the head units in the cars, and i recently installed a used head unit, no code was needed. dunno about the early ones, ours is the bose units with one round ****, the real early units have 2 round *****, the later units also have 2 *****, but much smaller. the connectors are way different in the 2001 and later.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:25 PM

Yeah mine has the two larger round *****. It also has the theft deterrent light in the upper left hand corner. I dunno if that makes a difference or not. Thank you for the help.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:29 PM

The 95-97 millenia did have a code locked radio. If the display reads 'ERR' then it is locked up by an unknown code from previous owner. There is a unlocking procedure Jim in CO but if I told you I would have to kill you.[8D] . Give a post back as to whether the display says ERR or is blank.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 PM

There is no code at the moment as I have not purchased the other one yet. Mine works fine, it is just that the LCD screen got smashed in on half of it and I cannot read anything on that side so I was going to purchase another one off of Ebay or some other online source, but I would not bother if I could not get it to work due to it needing a code or sorts. I hope that makes sense.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:56 AM

Here is another questions for all you helpful posters out there. Since I am going to replace the unit anyways do you have any idea if the slightly newer Bose units from any later year Millenias would fit. More appropriately ones that have the cd player in the unit and not just running my disc changer in the trunk? And if so, would they also still run that disc changer, or is it one or the other? Thanks again in advance.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:02 PM

That makes perfect sense Jim. If the radio is locked that you decide to purchase from e-bay, we will be able to unlock it no problem. As for using a different radio. Am not even sure how you can tell what you are getting by looking at what I saw on the site. They are advertising radio that will fit 95-2000 model and yet I find that very hard to believe. The 95 and 96 are same. 97 unsure as I have yet to locate the wiring diagram for it. 98-2000 look same as well but are not compatible with older as the wiring is different. ( ie 96 bose radio cassette has an 8 pin connector for hooking up the trunk cd changer while the 98 has a 12 pin connector. Now how is that going to work!!!![:@]. the 2001-2002 is completely different as Mazda changed to a modular audio system that allows you to add individual modules to the base radio unit ( ie you can upgrade to an indash 6 disc changer in the upper module or you can add a cassette deck or minidisc deck to the lower control module.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:31 PM

Yeah I was wondering how one unit can fit all those years, thanks for answering that question. I have only found one or two in my time looking that are an exact match to mine, so now if I find one I know we can get it unlocked. Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:05 PM

Here is the link to the one I found that looks like mine:

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29393-...tem=8045261296

And here is the one that I was wondering if I could upgrade to or not:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1

Old 03-14-2006, 05:10 PM

The second one is the later model version. I suppose anything is possible but it would take a lot of rewiring the putting in new connectors. The later versions have wires that do not even exist on early production. If you look at the pics of the backs of each radio you will see that the later one has completely different shaped connectors with more pins in them. Not a job that I would like to tackle anyway. Would probably be easier to go aftermarket with the head unit and an adapter harness to hook it up.

Quick Reply: Bose stereo code