Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

98 millenia runnin rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Default 98 millenia runnin rough

hi i recently purchesed a 98 millenia s it runs very bad. it was throwin codes for the mass air flow multiple cylender misfire and the abv vent solenoid. so i replaced the ther mass air flow sensor and all the plugs with iridium champion plugs. have not replace the solenoid yet but will it make it run really bad? it has no power and wen u try to rev it up fast it makes a loud squeling sound around the right side of the front intercooler. i cannot pinpoint it just wondering if it was a common problem please help i no nothing about these engines

Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 98millys
hi i recently purchesed a 98 millenia s it runs very bad. it was throwin codes for the mass air flow multiple cylender misfire and the abv vent solenoid. so i replaced the ther mass air flow sensor and all the plugs with iridium champion plugs. have not replace the solenoid yet but will it make it run really bad? it has no power and wen u try to rev it up fast it makes a loud squeling sound around the right side of the front intercooler. i cannot pinpoint it just wondering if it was a common problem please help i no nothing about these engines
yah, well, your first mistake is the spark plugs. they are the wrong gap. and if the dumbass that sold them to you tells you to regap them, and you do, then you join the dumbass club. the next mistake you did was misread the code. probably p0170/73, which is right/left bank fuel trim malfunction. probably you had the same dumbass autozone read out of a book what the possibilities are. the answer is simple. you have vacuum hose leaks and/or broke tees. it AINT the mas. fix the vacuum problem, and the codes for what you "think" is the mas will go away. replace the plugs with the CORRECT plugs, and the missfire codes MIGHT go away, but most likely the po put the wrong plugs in, and it took out some of the coils. also, oil gets in the wells, and the coils short out. if you are getting 0300, you will never know which coils are bad. but it will also be cylinder specific, ie 0301 is #1, 0302 is #2, etc. if you got the 0300, probably the best thing is to change out all the coils. this aint the cheapest, but a plug job on this car is such a pain in the butt, i would just put all new/good used in, and call it a day. while you are at it, clean all the wells out, and reseal it so no more oil can get in. the vent solenoid, 1526, is another indication to me that you have a vacuum problem. change out the lines/tees, and this might go away. ohm the solenoid, and you will know. there are several posts here with the same identical problem. and, if you are driving the car with a flashing ce lite, you risk massive engine damage.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:30 PM

wats the gap supposed to be on the plugs? and i will check all the vacuum lines. but u have any idea on the sqeal i get wen i try to rev it up fast it kinda sounds like a blow off vavle but it sqeals or kinda like a whistle

Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM

and im not currently driving it it runs way too bad to drive. o ya i forgot to mention im pretty sure the seals in the supercharger are bad becauser wen i pulled the intercooler piping off ther was oil in it will that make it run really bad?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 98millys
and im not currently driving it it runs way too bad to drive. o ya i forgot to mention im pretty sure the seals in the supercharger are bad becauser wen i pulled the intercooler piping off ther was oil in it will that make it run really bad?
some oil is normal. it is very hard to say just by looking that the compressor is bad, impossible to say just by reading a description. if it is not blowing blue smoke at startup, or consuming oil, the compressor is probably still good. even if the compressor was bad, that would not make it run rough. you need to go back to basics. the first rule about spark plugs is that if the plug tip is ANY kind of precious metals, platinum, gold, IRIDIUM, etc. then you do NOT regap them. if they dont come gapped for your car, they are the wrong plug. NO exceptions. here's another caveat. i used to work part time for a major national parts chain. every one of the spark plugs that were in the system for the 2.3 were wrong. i even notified corporate, and they conceded. but it was never changed. for years, ngk even had it wrong on their site. they finally changed it. there is NO iridium plug made for the 2.3. take them back. and if they say regap them, again, they are stupid. call the manufacturer, they will verify NOT to regap. you have at least 2 major problems to address. either one can be first, but you must do both. fix the vacuum/tee problem, and also the plugs/coils/oil. if you then still get the 1525/26 and 1540, then you need the vacuum and vent solenoids. you can try to dance around these fixes, but they will never go away. also, if you have to pay someone to do this, the car will eat your lunch. and your wallet

Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Well, this may or may not matter for YOUR car, but it did mine. I have a 01 Millenia (no Milly) and I first ran Bosch plugs, then somethin else (can't remember), and then I went to NGK's. NGK's run awesome and I'll never use any other kinds of plug in the car. Also, bout the oil and all the other problems, listen to Kennin..he's know his chit.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Default plugs for miller cycle

my 96 millenia S has ran very well lately but noticed a little "SKIP" at high RPM so pulled a front plug,it was .044 gap.i remember changing the plugs about 2 years ago when i first got the car but was in the stupid club then,just took what the parts guy gave me.had the champion platnums.when i went to get the NGK's, i had him bring the champions it calls for,i checked both gaps and the NGK was .033 and champions were .044. so keep that in mind,im always going with the NGK's for now on.dont they last 50,000 miles kenin? that may do me for 4 or 5 years