Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2001 Mazda Millenia Cam Gears and Timing Sprocket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 03:53 PM
Default 2001 Mazda Millenia Cam Gears and Timing Sprocket Questions

I have currently been working on my 2001 Mazda Millenia with the 2.5l KL engine. Just redid the valve stem seals and when going to put everything back together, I saw that the right (closest to the firewall) timing gear's arrow was not pointed towards the timing mark. The left (towards the front of the car) side timing gear was oriented correctly as to the timing mark. What worries, is if I were to align the timing mark, is that there are these two dots on each pair of cam gears. On the back head (closest to the firewall) there is a pair and front head there is a pair of these cam gears, and from what I have researched these dots need to be aligned as well as having the timing marks on timing gears aligned as well. What I am asking is because the timing gear for the back only goes on one way, if I were to get it aligned to the timing mark, those dots on the camshaft gears would not be aligned.
I'll attach a diagram of what the cam gear dots look like as well as photos of what my timing marks are like as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Been working on this for a while, and already had to take it apart once with an issue with the back heads lifters. It just has so much stuff that has to be put back on and taken apart, I just wanna make sure I get this timing right to save me some time. Thank You! (Also sorry for the images. Not being the highest quality. I know a lot of people take these engines out to work on them. Thought a valve stem seal job would be simple...but it was not.)

Correct Alignment on Front Timing Gear