Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2000 Millenia S Smoke at start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Default 2000 Millenia S Smoke at start up

As the title indicates, my Son has a Millenia that at initial start up in the Morning or after it has been sitting for a while smokes at the exhaust. The smoke goes away after a few seconds and thereafter seems to run just fine with no smoking. It does generate a code after a while, meaning days, it currently has no code because we reset it with our reader, so if that information is needed (I am guessing it is) the next time it codes I will get it. I can tell you that it relates to an incorrect or improper start up Catalyst.

I am at the point where I must correct this situation before shelling out the bucks for a new front bumper skin and related parts to correct a boo boo on his part.

His car has about 125,000 miles on it. I have heard/read where something as simple as a PCV valve or EGR (if it has one) can cause this symptom as well as worn rings/pistons (the cause that I don't want to be the case)

So I think I have missed important information, but I will let this post cook for a day or so (Maybe peeking in from time to time) and see what happens.

Thank you and regards,

Frankie

Edit: Moderators, you can scrap this post. Nothing resolved and nothing to learn from it. From another Forums and an experienced Millenia owner this is not going to be a cheap fix and is simply not worth the cost. The car will live the remainder of its life with a little puff of smoke at start up. Easy.

Last edited by fblevins1; 04-21-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Well fast forward a few years and that old Green Millenia has long since been sold but my son currently owns another green 2000 Mazda Millenia, apparently it was his white whale but at least this time he bought one with the 2.5 non-supercharged model with currently 83K miles on it and zero issues so far. I was surprised to find this post on a google search after this many years. Once the system has you, it has you for good.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:00 AM
Default Smoke at startup for a few seconds

I was at Oreilly auto parts and mentioned it to an experienced sales guy/mechanic. I was going to add a fuel additive to clean valves etc. He told me that the reason for smoke on startup is most likely oil getting past the valve stem seals and I could replace the seals which is a job or just leave it as is. I'm also getting codes p1540 and p1526 with engine check light on. The check engine light went out for a week. Then the tcs off and tcs lights came on when I tried to accelerate on a curve. Pulled over turned off engine waited a minute restarted tcs off and tcs lights were no longer visible. Also engine check light went off. Then it started over again at an escess of 3000 rpms. I think it is a vacuum hose or vacuum solenoid or a relay is not grounded according to code messages.
Will take it to my experienced mechanic