Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

What to do first

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Default What to do first

Hi everyone.. I'm getting my MX5 GT soon (I was told in about 10 days)

I want to know what the most important things are to do first.. after I drive it for 24 hours and sleep in it

1. Paint protection: Does the car come with a good waxing or should I wash and wax the car immediately?

2. Leather protection: Mine has a leather interior..... Should I put a protectant on right away?

CD

Old 04-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Default RE: What to do first

kewl, our first customized 5!!! who do you have doing the leather?? I would ask your customizer what they suggest.
As far as paint goes, i think you should wait a couple of weeks for the clear coat to harden.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Sorry I posted to the wrong forum.. I should have posted to MX5 or Miata, not Mazda 5

Well zoom zoom anyways

CD

Old 05-06-2006, 05:44 PM

A good waxing every 6-12 months will definitely keep the paint fresh through its lifetime. Leather won't need protectant too much unless it is going to see a lot of sun and a lot of seat time. It definitely won't hurt. My only issue with the stuff is that it reduces the friction between your the seat and your ***. I would also put some kind of vinyl/plastic protector on the dash if it will see a lot of sun or just get a sunblocker.

Do you plan to do anything for performance, suspension or motor?

Old 05-06-2006, 06:52 PM

No mods planned as of yet.. I'd like to drive it awhile to see if it'll meet all my needs.. I'm planning a drive from Victoria BC down through Washington and Idaho through Utah to Arizona...Hope to stay on nice secondary roads most of the time

CD

Old 05-07-2006, 01:56 AM

Well if you want the best paint possible. For the very first wax about 4 months after buying car, it'll cost a bit but it's well worht it get a company to buff the car and use all the finest buffing compunds and that will actually be smoother than the factory orange peel (even though it's white but it damages new finishes). This will give you what they call a "show finish" as apposed ot a "showroom finish" and will fill in any microscopic scratches. you can see the difference and if you touch the car with your hands it feels like glass and seems smoother. (you'll only know how it can be smoother than it already is when you've felt it [and we did it to our mustang]) Then you'll never have to do it again so long as you wax the car every 4-6 months. The car will look new all the time. As for leather protectant, I love the way treated leather feels all smooth and slippery, and treating it frequently will keep it looking perfect and won't hurt to do. My mom's mustang's leather is only 2 years old and is showing stress cracks and sun damage. We started treating it and they cracking stopped and actually went a way a bit. My friend's Rx7 is 18 years old and his leather looks new because it has been treated so many times in evenly spaced entervals since it's been owned. Also if you ever see someone's dashboard peeling away from where it meets the windshield, that's sun dammage. Vynil protect the sterrting wheel, dash, amd all bynil, and armorall all plastics once avery 2 months or so with the leather treating and your car will look like it does now in 10 or 20 years. a car only lasts as long as it's owner maintains it.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:20 AM

I really appreciate what you wrote!!! Thank you very much 87 turboII!! I saved it in a text file in my Mazda folder and will make sure to do it right!!!

CD

Old 05-07-2006, 03:02 PM

Glad I could help, and just to throw it out there, Invisible Glass is the glass cleaner I reccomend any day.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:13 PM

swell recommendation 87 T II! thats what i use on my car, pre/post tint...wouldnt use anything else. especially windex.