Obd-ii - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums


Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Bluffton SC
Posts: 2
Question Obd-ii

The OBD-II. I have to install a monitor from my insurance company and try as hard as I do I cannot find this connection. I own a 2015 Soft top Miata grand touring. HELP!!!

Last edited by Bwaite; 02-22-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 PM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,037
Default

Instead of looking for the OBD-II port, I would look for a different insurance company.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2018, 04:57 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Bluffton SC
Posts: 2
Default Not helpful!

Need help not sarcasm!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: York PA
Posts: 64
Default

While I do not have a Miata, on my Mazda 2 and 3, it is located under the dash close to your left knee pointing down. It should be a few inches back from the bottom of the dash trim and a few inches from the left side of the footwell.

While the insurance tracking method would not work for me, I suspect that it would be great for some depending on how and where you drive. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Instead of looking for the OBD-II port, I would look for a different insurance company.
Shipo makes a valid point. Installing a tracker in your OBD-II port exposes you to higher insurance rates for common and usually harmless habits, like drafting along at 32mph in a 25 mph zone in the middle of the night. Or accelerating to 55 in a 45 to pass a delivery truck. Many insurance companies don't use trackers, and instead rely on other factors like driving record, age, and vehicle type to set rates.

So, with that tracker installed, be extra wary.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: York PA
Posts: 64
Default

While a tracker for insurance would not work for me. It would likely be great for some people. I occasionally drive too fast, in bad neighborhoods and too far for it to be beneficial. It might be a good way to go for someone who is a careful or an occasional drive. I also understand that there are some circumstances where this is the only option. I also could see how it might be a good option for a limited use secondary vehicle like a Miata that is not pushed to its limits.

Bewaite - Have you been able to find the port?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:19 AM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaCPA View Post
While a tracker for insurance would not work for me. It would likely be great for some people. I occasionally drive too fast, in bad neighborhoods and too far for it to be beneficial. It might be a good way to go for someone who is a careful or an occasional drive. I also understand that there are some circumstances where this is the only option. I also could see how it might be a good option for a limited use secondary vehicle like a Miata that is not pushed to its limits.

Bewaite - Have you been able to find the port?
Playing "Devil's advocate" here...

How does one drive a Miata and N-O-T push it's limits from time to time?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: York PA
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Playing "Devil's advocate" here...

How does one drive a Miata and N-O-T push it's limits from time to time?
I am not saying that I could do it, but there are people who buy Miatas and drive them extremely gently.

I only wish there was a forum that they participated in that we could use to find our next purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:11 PM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaCPA View Post
I am not saying that I could do it, but there are people who buy Miatas and drive them extremely gently.

I only wish there was a forum that they participated in that we could use to find our next purchase.
Too funny, "For sale, 1996 M-Edition Miata 5-Speed, 23,000 miles, only driven to church on Sunday by a little old lady."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 8
Default

Well, the little "old" lady in my house is a hot rod mama. Wears out tires like a drag racer, and she's the one who needs to avoid a tracker.. ��
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'92 MX-3 OBD-I or OBD-II MustStangSally Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 1 09-23-2009 07:47 PM
OBD Code Reader naxxal Mazda3 6 07-14-2006 03:31 PM
Where is the OBD-II Port? nicole Mazda Tribute 2 05-11-2006 05:10 PM
Which OBD Tool to buy for my Mazda 6s chrisdr2004 Mazda6 3 01-22-2006 06:00 PM
P1141 OBD II code emaye Mazda Protege 1 09-20-2005 01:26 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.