Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

new to miata

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Default new to miata

hows it goin everyone,
i recently got myself an miata1990 and so far im loving it. Just that bums me for now that is i want to get it to pick up more power.
Im new to the scene for miata's and dont know whats the best upgrades nor the swaps or the best routes for performance.
I do have experience on working on cars and modifying on the motors, as well as boosting.
So if anyone have ideas or their personal route they are heading can you please help me out? thanks
Like is it better to boost or na?
Which is simple bolt on swap motor for it?
my goal is just having 200 hp on a small RWD cuz im tired of everyone just having civics, tegs, eclipse its all the same just different colors. So i want to be different and everyone else that i asked for advice bout miata's im just getting laughed and told to get rid of it.
thanks for helping

Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Default RE: new to miata

Hey Medic,

I don't have any first hand experience in replacing your engine with a V6 or a V8, but I know that some folks have done so. Some folks also install blowers and whatever to increase horsepower, but I don't have any experience in that either.I just bought a 2008 Grand Touring MX5, copper red, PRHT, 6 speed manual, and a suspension package I really did not want. As it sits new, it is alreadyable to go much faster than I am willing to go. Iam quite happy with it in its stock configuration.

Your 1990 Miate is probably a sweet machine just as it is. If you want to increase horsepower for racing, that's just fine. However, you do not have to change a thing to make it different from a Civic, Eclipse, or whatever. It is not a Civic; it is a Miata, and that is nothing to laugh at. If someone laughs at a Miata, they are simply ignorant and unworthy of your consideration.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: new to miata

hey medic for life,
we have quite a bit in common.. its actually scarry how much. I am a paramedic firefighter for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, just purchased a 1990 (red) miata(original paint) 75k miles garage kept and near mint condition. I got this for only 2100 bucks! I am Stoked...but want it a little faster. Dave Wile seems like a nice guy and may like his miata the way it is, but i am with you man.. this is a project car for me. Incidently.. there is a new magazine that just hit the news stands. November 1st called PROJECT CAR no.3( SuperStreetonline.com). The feature article is on how a 1991 Mazda miata was transformed into a beast Street racing car for under 7k. The budget was 7k for this project, yet they kinda splurged on some of the upgrades. However i dont want to ramble on but I think you should pick up the mag just for this article. what they did was contact all the mazda miata gurus and come up with some affordable and DIY(do it yourself) projects. The list the prices on parts,where to buy, and step by step with pictures... example how to install a 5Zigen Exhaust and Header K&N Filter.Or something I am gonna do...Handling and Stability (Suspension mods). Hope this helps!