Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

How much did I get ripped off by the locksmith?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 09:43 AM
Default How much did I get ripped off by the locksmith?

I have a 2020 MX-5 Miata. I locked my keys in the trunk last night. I called the locksmith thinking this is at most $200 or so.
They proceed to trying to make new keys and then tell me that the trunk is electronic and then, they need to reprogram the keys. That's fair.

And then, they say they say that this is tricky and that they then need to program two new keys for this to work. But then, my two old keys won't work so they go and make sure that my old keys work. (I had one key in the trunk and the other was at home but all my house keys were in the trunk also so I can't just tow my car home. I'd be locked out of my house.)

So I got charged for:
2 new keys ($550 x2)
2 car key programmed 150x2

+service fees

So the bill turned out to be around $1500. They justify if by saying that the dealership would have charged me more and that it's a good deal since I have 4 keys.
It was late at night and an emergency situation. I feel taken advantage of at this point.
What's your opinion?

Old 04-11-2024, 12:30 PM

I’m only 7 months late in replaying, but yes, $1500 does sound excessive. Who was the locksmith so that I can avoid them?

I have a NB Miata and not a ND, so perhaps I’m missing something, but why couldn’t your pry the door window open just enough to get a wire coat hanger in to reach the door opening handle?

Old 04-11-2024, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dougal McGuire
I’m only 7 months late in replaying, but yes, $1500 does sound excessive. Who was the locksmith so that I can avoid them?

I have a NB Miata and not a ND, so perhaps I’m missing something, but why couldn’t your pry the door window open just enough to get a wire coat hanger in to reach the door opening handle?
LOL Are yo a locksmith? Do you know the going rate for this service in the OPs area? Do you know if the OP got a few quotes?

Gotta love internet nonexpert especially in a related service that they are not even in to base or judge?

And yes, you are late to the party top respond, which really makes it even more entertaining.
Not to mention that the OP asking the question has not returned since LAST YEAR to the forum in a capacity of participating?

Last edited by Callisto; 04-11-2024 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
LOL Are yo a locksmith? Do you know the going rate for this service in the OPs area?
No, I am not a locksmith, but I do live near the OP so I think I have a general idea of what skilled service costs in this area. I may not always be correct but I am allowed to have an opinion, just as you are allowed to have an opinion on any number of fields you are not an expert in.

Gotta love internet nonexpert especially in a related service that they are not even in to base or judge?

OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. If OP had asked for a definitive answer from local experts only, then my opinion might not be welcome, but he didn’t. He asked for
opinions.

And yes, you are late to the party top respond, which really makes it even more entertaining.

Yes, I was late to reply, but I was also the first to reply. Does that make it a little less entertaining?

Not to mention that the OP asking the question has not returned since LAST YEAR to the forum in a capacity of participating?

I replied in the expectation that the OP might receive an email notification that someone had replied to his post, (like I received an email of your reply), so perhaps he might yet read these comments. However, if this is the normal tone of comments I wouldn’t blame him for not returning. No wonder this forum is so quiet.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:33 PM

I read all your response and let me just say..... auh ok. wow! They were very informative or more entertaining. I looked before I responded just to see who it was and what they actually may have in the way of relevant automotive experience.

I mean what's the point after that time period to respond to such a question? Think about that? You don't have all the facts and the thread is so old at this point what does it matter. However, the cost for emergency locksmith services based on the limited information from the op. Always when a member on a forum post what they paid do they provide the work order? So, we don't really have all the facts only one side of the story. I have had to send locksmiths to customers or have them come to the shop for various service so I do have a good idea what after hours and emergency service could cost and yup I am in CA as well. Oh and the OP is approx. 2 hour drive from my location

I seldom post opinion on vehicle forums and the very few times I do I also preference with IMHO or IMO

Old 04-11-2024, 05:22 PM

I read all your response and let me just say..... auh ok. wow! They were very informative or more entertaining. I looked before I responded just to see who it was and what they actually may have in the way of relevant automotive experience.
By this rationale should only qualified persons reply when a poster publicly asks for opinions? Who determines who is qualified to reply and who is not?

I mean what's the point after that time period to respond to such a question? Think about that?
I did think about that. That's why I prefaced my opinion with “I’m only 7 months late in replying”. I was well aware of the delay and how that might be taken by the OP but that does not mean a reply is automatically unwelcome. Perhaps the OP values opinions even if they are 7 months late, or perhaps he will be publicly dismissive of them because they weren't made during some undefined period after the question was asked. But that’s the OP, the person who asked the question. I’m more curious on why it matters to you if an opinion was offered 7 months late? Why do you spend time and energy replying to an opinion because it was late in arriving? Is it because you disagree with my opinion, want to disparage my knowledge on the matter and are adding on the delay in replying as more evidence that my opinion should never have been given?

You don't have all the facts and the thread is so old at this point what does it matter….. However, the cost for emergency locksmith services based on the limited information from the op
I have the same facts as everyone else. Maybe they are insufficient to give a full assessment of the services provided for $1500, but they are what were given and what we must base our opinions on, (opinions that the OP requested).

I have had to send locksmiths to customers or have them come to the shop for various service so I do have a good idea what after hours and emergency service could cost and yup I am in CA as well. Oh and the OP is approx. 2 hour drive from my location
That’s very good, you clearly have greater knowledge on locksmith rates than I do. However, at no point did I ever question your experience or knowledge. You’re the one suggesting that my opinion is worthless and shouldn't even be given.

I seldom post opinion on vehicle forums ...
You’ve certainly given your opinion on the value of my opinion.

... and the very few times I do I also preference with IMHO or IMO
That's a good habit. When I made my original reply above I did state "$1500 does sound excessive”. I believe using the word “sound” indicates that this is an opinion and not a statement of fact.

If I had prefaced my original comment with IMHO or IMO, would your reply have been different?

Last edited by Dougal McGuire; 04-12-2024 at 12:25 AM.